Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss
Options

?s for women who have had an ectopic(s)

It has been just over two weeks since the emergency surgery for my ectopic surgery having the right tube removed also. OB told us to wait two cycles before trying again. I have heard a lot of mixed things about the odds of having another ectopic pregnancy and how difficult it will be to get pregnant again. 

So I guess my question is...have any of you had an ectopic and then had a successful live birth?

Have any of you had more than one ectopic?

Have you had more than one ectopic and gone on to have a successful live birth?

How long did it take you to concieve after the ectopic?

I apologize for all the questions, i just can't get real straight answers from anybody and need real peoples answers.

Thanks to all of you!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: ?s for women who have had an ectopic(s)

• Options

I had the same surgery on 8/2/10 and I have all of the same questions!  Unfortunately, I have some other complications that have to be diagnosed before we can TTC again.  I did find this site:  https://community.babycenter.com/groups/a734235/ectopic_pregnancy_-_new_hopes

It's not the most active board in the world, but it did give me a lot of hope and reason to believe that the next time will be successful.

Now I''m just anxious to get the greenlight!

I would love any information you find. 

Thanks!

BFP #1 7/21/10; Dx EP 8/2/10 - lost right tube ~ Myomectomy to remove fibroids - 11/12/10 ~ BFP #2 - 2/8/11 (EDD - 10/21/11) ~ C-Section on 10/7/11 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

danie330 not to be nosy, just maybe trying to bond and see how similar our situation is, what were your complications?

I had severe internal bleeding, the right tube was removed, they hit a blood vessel during the surgery causing two huge hematomas making me still look 4-5 months pregnant and causing a "saddle injury", from all the blood and swelling, as well as a hernia with a blood clot the size of an egg pushing through it.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I'm so sorry!  I didn't have anything like that.  I had a partial rupture in my right tube - which is why they got me into surgery so quickly.  While they were doing the procedure, they found several large fibroids and wanted to see if I needed to have a second surgery to remove them before TTC.  Other than that, the laprascopy seemed to go well.

I'm scheduled for a sono next week and then we will probably schedule an HSG test. 

I hope that your body is healing quickly now.  That definitely sounds painful and unpleasant (to say the least!).

BFP #1 7/21/10; Dx EP 8/2/10 - lost right tube ~ Myomectomy to remove fibroids - 11/12/10 ~ BFP #2 - 2/8/11 (EDD - 10/21/11) ~ C-Section on 10/7/11 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I don't have any answers to your questions, so I am not much help. 

I also had an ectopic on 8/13  and lost my right tube  and my left ovary was split open from a ruptured cyst which ruptured simultaneously with my ectopic so my ovary had to be sewn back together.    So I am interested in seeing what kind of responses you get.  

I had my follow-up with my doctor on the 27th and she cleared me to TTC again.... but I thought I should wait at least a cycle.   She also told me it did not raise my chances to happen again, as they are not sure why it happened the first time, but everything I read on the internet said my chances went up 10-15% after the first ectopic.

• Options

hope it's ok that I chime in.  I'm kind of an old timer.. My ectopic was my 3rd mc (it was about 4 years ago now). I didn't lose the tube but an HSG afterwards revealed that the tube was blocked.  I dont know if the blockage caused the ectopic or vice versa...

After my surgery, we took a full 3 months off from TTC to recover, and then tried again. I conceived my DD in 2 cycles, and had my first sucessful live birth with her. And then when she was about 9 mos old, we TTC again, and in about 2 cycles, got pg and had my second sucessful live birth with my DS (who's almost 2 now)..

I see you are not alone in your situation on this board right now. I know for me, my ectopic was my most disheartening mc. And each time, I seemed to mc "worse" than before..So I was almost at the end of my rope.

But the 3 month break helped a lot, and I was able to give it one more try. I'm glad I did - it was worth it in the end.

I wish all of you who are dealing with this healing and peace. I just wanted to chime in so that you all know there can be success after ectopic. Hugs!

• Options
    imageKatie13:

hope it's ok that I chime in.  I'm kind of an old timer.. My ectopic was my 3rd mc (it was about 4 years ago now). I didn't lose the tube but an HSG afterwards revealed that the tube was blocked.  I dont know if the blockage caused the ectopic or vice versa...

After my surgery, we took a full 3 months off from TTC to recover, and then tried again. I conceived my DD in 2 cycles, and had my first sucessful live birth with her. And then when she was about 9 mos old, we TTC again, and in about 2 cycles, got pg and had my second sucessful live birth with my DS (who's almost 2 now)..

I see you are not alone in your situation on this board right now. I know for me, my ectopic was my most disheartening mc. And each time, I seemed to mc "worse" than before..So I was almost at the end of my rope.

But the 3 month break helped a lot, and I was able to give it one more try. I'm glad I did - it was worth it in the end.

I wish all of you who are dealing with this healing and peace. I just wanted to chime in so that you all know there can be success after ectopic. Hugs!

They have no idea why mine happened either, their best guess is that some scar tissue may have formed from my gall bladder surgery 2 years ago...other than that no answers. My OB said that my chances for having another would go up about 10-15%, but she thought that I shouldn't have much harder time getting pregnant again, i just dont know how that is possible with only one tube? I guess they are the experts and better know what they are talking about. I am hoping to get some more answers in a couple weeks at my next f/u appt.

• Options
    one more question....how long after did it take for A.F. to come back. I haven't bled or had any spotting in a week, and it has been two weeks since the surgery and i was wondering how long it would take my cycle to start back up. I don't want to be out somewhere and be taken by surprise....
  • Options
    I'm still waiting for mine too.  My doctor said she wouldn't be concerned until 6 weeks after the surgery.  Even then, she said it could take up to 8 weeks.  I'm just hoping that my crazy b!tchiness this week is the 1st sign AF's on the way!
  • Options
    It could take 6-8 weeks? OMG that is crazy! My OB didn't ever tell me anything about how long it could take AF to come back, but she did say to wait at least one, preferable 2 cycles before trying again. I was thinking 6 weeks at most for all that to happen, not 6 weeks just to wait for AF to show up! I have another f/u on friday for the hernia/blood clot, so i think i will ask more in depth what the real story is. I can't believe that they didn't tell me that in the first place. i must say i am slightly frustrated with them at the moment. I hope and pray for you that AF is coming for you and that is the reason for your mood! :) I almost wish I was feeling a little bitchy and could use that as my reasoning! :) Are you still in any pain from the surgery? I don't go through a minute of the day without hurting. Also I can't sleep at all, but am exhausted constantly. I know part of that is because of all the internal bleeding, but it has been just over 2 weeks, and i am so ready to feel physically fine again, because i know that emotionally it is going to take forever, and i think that if I didn't have the physical reminder 24 hours a day, i might get through it a little easier. who knows, i am just having a bad day, like angry bad, so i am sorry if this comes off crabby, just needed to vent.
  • Options

Joining this post late and my story is a bit different.  I had IVF and it took a while for them to find the embie in the tube but they knew things weren't progressing normally.  So far no rupture but I've had two doses of methotrexate.  May need a third on Friday but if not, surgery may be in my future.  Just thankful we've not had a rupture like you guys.  I am curious to see what RE thinks caused it.  He did say today, "you have a bad tube...well if it wasn't bad before...it is now." 

• Options
    The part i just can't get over is that just an hour before the surgery during the ultrasound to confirm what the drs already knew, was a heart beat in this tiny little baby, (we call the baby she, Allyn...) she was moving, she was alive. the rest of the preparation the drs and nurses kept refering to the surgery as a live ectopic. then they asked me to sign the consent form, i had to, i was bleeding internally and they all reassured me that the baby would have died regardless....I just feel like I signed an abortion consent, I should have let God's will prevail and i didn't. I was informed after the surgery that i had another hour maybe two, before the situation could have possibly turned fatal for me as well because of the bleeding. How do i get over feeling like I killed my own baby?
  • Options

Sorry this is sooo long!!!!

My story is a little different and pretty recent too. I just had my ectopic close to two months ago (will be 2m on the 14) 

Thankfully I didn't rupture and it terminated naturally. I only took one dose of methotrexate and my levels went down within a week.

This was my first pregnancy and honestly, it caught me by surprise. I found out I was pregnant almost a week before the mc. I started bleeding the night two night before my first appointment with the OB. I called the next day to move my appt. I went in and was told that I was bleeding more than normal. I was sent for an us immediately and as soon as the technician didnt say anything and kept asking how I found I was pregnant (implying if maybe I was wrong about the whole thing!) I knew to be concerned. The Dr. then came in and told me he couldn't find the pregnancy in the uterus but found something in my tube. I broke down immediately.  It's been hard but I am dealing with it the best I can. I still have tough moments,but i know it's part of the process.

Now DH and I are trying to move on and plan a time to TTC again. However my major concerns are in TTC.

So because of that, I myself am wondering the answers to these questions and looking forward to trying within the next year but am still very scared about the idea of it possibly happening again.

It's hard to know that part of my body had something wrong with it and knowing that perhaps if my tube was "normal" I would still have my baby.

Thank you to those of you on here who have shared your stories about your ectopic. It gives me hope and comfort in knowing that I am not alone in dealing with this. This is something that is not as rare as people think it is.

• Options

Sorry this is sooo long!!!!

My story is a little different and pretty recent too. I just had my ectopic close to two months ago (will be 2m on the 14) 

Thankfully I didn't rupture and it terminated naturally. I only took one dose of methotrexate and my levels went down within a week.

This was my first pregnancy and honestly, it caught me by surprise. I found out I was pregnant almost a week before the mc. I started bleeding the night two night before my first appointment with the OB. I called the next day to move my appt. I went in and was told that I was bleeding more than normal. I was sent for an us immediately and as soon as the technician didnt say anything and kept asking how I found I was pregnant (implying if maybe I was wrong about the whole thing!) I knew to be concerned. The Dr. then came in and told me he couldn't find the pregnancy in the uterus but found something in my tube. I broke down immediately.  It's been hard but I am dealing with it the best I can. I still have tough moments,but i know it's part of the process.

Now DH and I are trying to move on and plan a time to TTC again. However my major concerns are in TTC.

So because of that, I myself am wondering the answers to these questions and looking forward to trying within the next year but am still very scared about the idea of it possibly happening again.

It's hard to know that part of my body had something wrong with it and knowing that perhaps if my tube was "normal" I would still have my baby.

Thank you to those of you on here who have shared your stories about your ectopic. It gives me hope and comfort in knowing that I am not alone in dealing with this. This is something that is not as rare as people think it is.
  • Options

If your tube was removed, and there is no anatomical reason (like scar tissue) then you are at NO greater risk for having another EP. Doc checked while he was "in there" and said my right side looked A-ok and ready to go.

Got pg with DD first cycle trying again, 5th after EP.

Full term, normal, boring, completely healthy pregnancy afterward.  Have not started TTC another child yet.

I was told mine was just a fluke, they had no idea what caused it. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"