Health & Exercise
Options

Dental work during pregnancy.

I've read that X-Rays should be avoided during pregnancy, I am just wondering if this refers to all x-rays, or just specific areas?

I have a joint problem in my jaw and would like to get something done about it, but it would probably require an x-ray.

I also am wondering if any dental work (i.e. cleaning, cavity filling, wisdom teeth removal [w/anesthesia]) is not recommended during pregnancy.

I will definitely wait if necessary, just wondering:)

Thank you in advance for advice/replies!

Re: Dental work during pregnancy.

• Options

Here's my understanding...

Xrays should be avoided to the degree possible, but can be done if needed because it's important that you be healthy.  E.g., if you're just going in for a routine dental checkup, they could skip on the annual xrays unless there is a compelling reason to do them (they suspect you have an absess or something of that sort).

As for dental care, cleanings and preventive care are strongly RECOMMENDED during pregnancy. 

If you need treatment, such as a cavity filled, to reduce risk of infection, that can be done.  The ideal time for dental work is the 2nd trimester.  Anything that can be safely deferred until after the pregancy probably should.   Most wisdom teeth extractions are NOT time sensitve, so I'd put that in the things to postpone until after the birth category.

Hope tis helps!  For more detailed info, this is a pretty good resource: https://www.americanpregnancy.org/pregnancyhealth/dentalwork.html

• Options

I had my teeth cleaned while i was 7 months along. The dentist skipped the x-rays, but completed a digital photo of my teeth and completed a visual exam. I found that sitting in the chair (lying down) was uncomfortable when having my teeth cleaned.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    i had some dental surgery done right at the beginning of my pregnancy (before i even knew i was pregnant of course) and was given amoxicillin and vicodin, which i completely panicked about once i found out i was pregnant.  I talked to my doctor about it and she said not to worry and that everything should be fine, as long as it was only local anesthesia.  She said there could be complications if they put you completely under but we didn't get into details since that didn't happen to me.  i would still avoid the major dental work but definitely keep up on the regular cleanings. 
    Our little peanut was born at 23w4d Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    I had a root canal and filling at 35 weeks. My OB said i needed to get it done because of risk of infection to the baby. The dentist had my OB fax a release allowing them to take an xray and listing the anesthetic and medications I could and couldn't use.
    Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"