Success after IF
Options

baby BFing on only one side - then done?

I started out offering both sides to DD... and up until a few weeks ago, she usually took both sides.    But for the last couple of weeks, she will nurse on one side and be done.   She isn't asleep, she just won't take the other side when offered and seems to be satisfied.   Overnight, she is more likely to take both, but not always.   It doesn't seem to be affecting my supply at this point, but it does make me a bit nervous... 

Anyone else's LO do this?   Did it end up hurting your supply at all?

Brought to you by IVF, ICSI, limited fert, and oocyte cryopreservation.
Because we're fancy like that.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: baby BFing on only one side - then done?

• Options
    My son was a one-sider for many months.  My body just sort of adjusted to that type of feeding.  She might actually be pulling quite a bit of the hind milk out of that side and be satisfied (that's what I chalked it up to be).  When he had a growth spurt, he would request the other side and I gave it to him.  I really listened to what the baby wanted and went with it.  Your body will adjust.  But no, it is not unusual for babies to be one-siders with feeding.  Just remember to start on the other side next time :-)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    That's what Grayson does. Granted, he falls asleep, but he will only take one boob.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I always only did 1 side per feeding (granted, I had an oversupply of milk).
    Childhood cancer (DH) + chemo + radiation = 0 sperm.
    LO #1 - 1 unmedicated/self-monitored IUI w/ donor sperm.
    LO #2 - 1 m/c, 2 BFNs, 4th IUI worked (unmedicated/self-monitored with new donor sperm).
    Life is beautiful!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I always only feed on one side too.

I also have/had tonnes of milk.

• Options
    Hey lady!  I think you are fine, I would bet that your supply probably increased to the point where Anna is getting what she needs from the one side.  If you are worried about supply remember you can always pump and that should increase your supply.  But I wouldn't hassle with that if you don't have to.  You know I have no personal experience to share since E is only nursing on one side at the moment.  We are fearing an all out dry up on the other side but doing all we can to stop that! 
  • Options
    I encouraged it in DS at about a month so he'd get the full scope of milk (fore and hind) and he stayed that way, nursing one side per session, for over a year.
  • Options
    My great big Ana only nurses off of one side also. She always has but it's clear she has no problems with growth (lol!) and so far we've been going strong for 9 mos. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I have an oversupply, so I've never fed on both sides. She always eats on one side then passes out. (For example, I fed DD then pumped an additional 3 ounces off the side I fed on... I then pumped 3.5 off the other side, even though it's next up in the feeding rotation.)
    imageimage

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"