February 2011 Moms
Options

Parents gave me my cradle (WWYD)?

My parents came up for a little visit on Sunday and they brough with them the cradle that I used when I was a baby.  They actually had with it the original mattress that I used and the bumper for the cradle.  DH and I put it together and in some ways it's kind of awesome.

I do have some concerns about it though.  It's old and likely does not meet current safety standards, but it seems study enough and I would get a new mattress for it if I used it.  So, what do you think?  Would you use the cradle?

This is not it, but it's similar image

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Parents gave me my cradle (WWYD)?

• Options

If it's not too big, I would place it in a family room, or in a room where you will be spending a lot of time after the baby is born. This way you can use it as a place to put the baby if you need some free hands.

So far, my MIL is giving me their family cradle, my SIL is giving me my nephew's cradle, and my mom wants to give me mine as well! I haven't had the guts to tell all of them that I don't need it. But I've decided to put one in my bedroom, one in our living room, and one in our family room. We plan on purchasing a new crip that converts as the baby grows for the nursery. All the cradles that my family is offering are small enough to put in a corner in the other rooms.

• Options
    My mom is giving me the cradle that my brother and I both used as babies. It looks quite similar to the one you posted! We plan on putting it in our living room. I figure that the baby won't be sleeping in it full time- pretty much just for daytime naps and I will most likely be in that room or the next.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I have one really similar to this as well :)  I think it's cute! We will use it for sure, only when the baby is pretty little.  I'm thinking that once s/he can move around more it won't be so safe.  
  • Options

If it feels sturdy I would use it.

I just pulled the bassinet out of the basement that my brother I and used when we were first born. We set it up this weekend and it is in great shape. We plan to use it one we replace the padding in it.

Rylan 1/27/2011, 2:42 pm, 5lbs 12oz, 18.5 inches long
     Ayla 10/02/2013, 10:14 am, 6lbs 14oz, 19.25 inches long
    Missed Miscarriage 6w3d 3/02/2010
    I'll hold you in my heart until I hold you in heaven

Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

• Options
    Thanks for the input ladies.  I definitely feel better about it now.  We will probably use it in our room and only the first couple of weeks.  It will probably not be where LO naps and won't spend time there with out one of us close by.
  • Options

I think it sounds awesome. My dad is giving my twin the cradle he had when HE was a baby and I have to say I'm insanely jealous!! I can understand why, I've been in Japan for my first baby, and here in CA for my second and now third baby... and he's in FL. He wouldn't want it to get shipped because if it broke he'd be heartbroken. My twin is in GA, and it's just a few hours drive for him to give it to her. I'm jealous she gets to have a piece of history like that. Even if I didn't use it, I'd still WANT it, you know?

Anyway, I'd make sure you check the mattress and try to get it cleaned, or maybe see if someone can make a new one for you. 

CafeMom Tickers
    imageimage
  • Options
    Just make sure the paint is not LED paint since it is old.
  • Options
    I second what a pp said about checking for lead paint. If that checks out fine then I would totally use it! 

I remember a post about checking for lead based paint on the blog young house love. You should check out how they did it. It looked easy. https://www.younghouselove.com/

• Options
    We always had a cradle in our room growing up I think at one time one of us kids used it to sleep in. But the only think i remember (I'm the youngest) ever using it for was a place to store toys. It was like their little pen (we had a lot of stuff animals).
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"