Indiana Babies
Options

Baby Fall

Rowan fell this morning right on his face :(. He was playing with the laundry hamper and it wasn't that full and he tipped it over, let go and smack on his nose/forehead/cheeks. We have hard wood floors so I hate hate hate it when he falls :(  I feel so bad. He has a few big falls in the last 2 weeks because he is starting to walk more and more on his own. Anyway this time his nose actually start bleeding a bit. After all this talk about concussions on tv too, I'm starting to get freaked out. I called his doctor but of course a nurse doesn't come in until 9 so I have to wait. He went down for a nap right after it because he was so upset about it. 

Has anyone else had a child who had a concussion? I really hope he doesn't have one, but now I'm all worried that he had one before and that this one was one of those terrible second concussions (since his nose bled). Ahh I'm so paranoid!! 

Re: Baby Fall

• Options

Tyson has cracked his head twice really hard on our brick fireplace hearth, once giving him a black eye and the other time giving him an enormous goose egg on his forehead.  Both times I panicked and called the nurses line at Peyton Manning Children's Hospital.  Both times he was fine.

You can always call them for peace of mind.  They're super friendly and helpful with questions.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    When Haley was around a year old, DH had her in the stroller with him in the garage.  I thought he'd strapped her in, but she wiggled out under the tray and fell onto the concrete garage floor.  She hit the back of her head and had a HUGE goose egg.  We called the pedi's office and talked to the on-call pedi (it was after hours) and he told us what to watch for and had us wake her up a couple times throughout the night.  I would call the nurse at the pedi and see what she says. More than likely, his nose bled because he actually fell on it, not because of a concussion.  But - it's always better to be safe than sorry (plus I like talking to pedi or the nurse just for my peace of mind).  I hope he feels better when he wakes up!!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Isabella fell and smacked her head hard on the coffee table.  She started screaming until I let her play with the Nemo ice pack, then she was fine.  I think they say as long as your child is crying, doesn't vomit, and acting normally you are fine, but I understand the worry. 

I would keep a 24-hour nurses line posted on the fridge or something.  Thankfully, our healthcare network has a 24-hour peds line.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Good advice above!

Just wanted to add that DD still has a small scar on her chin from when she tipped a dining room chair over.. a year and a half ago! :)

I'm surprised we haven't had to make any trips to the ER with this kid.

• Options

I hope it's nothing serious!  I understand how you're feeling though.  ((hugs)) 

Zander fell into the corner of the coffee table at about 11 months.  Within seconds, there was a huge purple goose egg in the middle of his forehead (bigger than an egg, but smaller than a tennis ball).  It looked absolutely horrible.  We freaked out and called the pedi because it looked so bad so fast.  They said to watch him and make sure he was acting "normal" and to wake him up every few hours over night.  He ended up being fine but did have a knot and bruise that took about 3 weeks to completely go away.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I hope he gets a good check-up!
  • Options

Doc said he's a-okay. No broken nose or anything :). I called the nurse and she told me I should bring him in. He seemed fine but I figured it wouldn't hurt. 

And thanks for telling me your stories! It actually made me feel better. I had the "I'm a terrible mom" feeling because I felt like my kid kept hurting himself way more than he should be. Thanks everyone! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"