Washington Babies
Options

Best way to raise blood sugar.

Today I was feeling a little down in the dumps and was getting really frustrated. It wasn't my usual nausea from the morning sickness so I came to the conclusion that since I haven't been able to eat much due to feeling like it would all just come back up I could be having low blood sugar problems.I am going to call my doctor in the morning and see what she thinks but I was just wanting some other opinions of things I could do.

What is your way to  raise your blood sugar when you can feel it is low?

Uploaded from the Photobucket Android App

Re: Best way to raise blood sugar.

• Options
    I'm chronically hypoglycemic (low blood sugar levels).  The best bet, for me at least, is that I have to make sure that I eat enough protein at meals this makes it easier for your body to keep a constant level, and I generally carry around nuts of some variety for emergencies.  Stay away from sugary foods if you're feeling low, they cause blood sugar levels to spike and then crash big time.  I actually ended up in the hospital because I was using sugar as a remedy.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imageStarEyed81:
    I'm chronically hypoglycemic (low blood sugar levels).  The best bet, for me at least, is that I have to make sure that I eat enough protein at meals this makes it easier for your body to keep a constant level, and I generally carry around nuts of some variety for emergencies.  Stay away from sugary foods if you're feeling low, they cause blood sugar levels to spike and then crash big time.  I actually ended up in the hospital because I was using sugar as a remedy.

This is great advise! Listen to her! 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    When I was pg and couldn't stand food, string cheese was my BFF. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Perhaps a glass of milk could help.
    Boy 10.6.13
    Labored at freestanding birth center using hypnobirthing techniques
    Delivered via csection
  • Options

I?m a Type I diabetic and totally agree with StaryEyed.  Your blood sugar likely isn?t dangerously low  so you should focus on maintaining a constant level, not on a fast spike. Even if you choose a fast method (like orange juice) follow it up with protein and fat as that will ?carry? the glucose a longer period of time.  Cheese, peanut butter, milk are good options that are easy to come by when out and don?t require stocking special stuff at home.

If you do use simple sugar, your body will pump out more insulin to counteract the glucose and you?ll crash again, possibly to a dangerouly low level.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"