School-Aged Children
Options

When is it safe...

...to let your child take a bath by him/herself? And when did you transition your child to taking showers?

Re: When is it safe...

• Options
    We started to be okay with it around 6.  At 5, we gave him privacy, but sat at the doorway in case anything went wrong and peeked occasionally.

image     image

Me (34): MTHFR, PCOS, Endo, left salpingectomy due to hydrosalpinx, 
    hypothyroidism, low AMH (0.26)/normal FSH/average AFC of 12

Him (33): No known issues

November 2013-March 2014: Natural cycles
    April 2014: Clomid 100mg and Ovidrel trigger -- BFN
    May 2014: Clomid 100mg and Ovidrel trigger -- BFN
    July 2014:  IVF class -- Check!
    Holy crap.  Unmedicated BFP 7.22.14.  EDD 4.01.15.
    Best April Fool's Day ever!
    Now on Lovenox, prenatals, Vitamin D,
    Folic Acid, and Synthroid.
    Please be our take home baby.

• Options
    My oldest started taking showers by himself last year when he was 4.  He's VERY independent though.  My 3yo takes showers too but still needs help washing his hair every now and then.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I let my kids play in the tub by themselves when I felt they understood that standing up in the slippery tub was not safe.  I needed to feel like it was a "given" that they'd know to call me if they needed something, instead of reaching for it themselves or trying to climb out of the tub.

For my kids this was when they were about 4.  I started by stepping out of the bathroom for just a few moments to fold laundry in a bedroom nearby.  I try to stay within earshot, though.

I started my kids showering by bringing them into the shower with me.  Beach vacations and trips to the pool are also great ways to introduce children to showering and teach them how to shower.  I used a cheap sun visor to shield their faces from water, because both of my kids hated water hitting them in the face.  After they grew more used to showering, I would stand outside the shower and reach in to help.  This is a tough stage, because there's no way to avoid getting water on the floor.  My son just turned 6, and he really only needs help with rinsing his hair at this point.   It's taken about 8 months for him to go from "freaking out" to "almost doing it himself."  My daughter is nearly 10 and she's been showering totally solo for a while, but occasionally still comes out with suds behind her ears.

High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • Options
    DS started taking baths by himself when he was 4.  Same for showers, although he much prefers baths now- more ways to play with a pirate ship in a tub of water than a shower!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    We started letting our little one take showers on his own at 6, but I think we could've done it earlier. Like previous poster said, he likes to sing in the shower, so we always know he's ok! 
  • Options

My kids started around 5.  They could swim confidently at that point so I felt safe letting them bathe by themselves.  

Oldest DD started taking showers around 7.  Younger DD (almost 6) still doesn't like showers-will take one if she has to but prefers the bath.  

• Options

My daughter mostly takes a bath by herself at 4, but we leave the door open and I typically go on the computer which is about 10 feet from the bathroom so I can hear her. I give her soap on her bath sponge and let her wash herself, and then I wash her hair.

I think it will be a while before she starts taking showers. She hates getting water in her eyes.

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

When SD was within a couple months of turning 5, I started putting her in the tub and then I'd go surf the internet in the next room while she played. Now, I am comfortable leaving her to go clean the kitchen or fold laundry, and I just call to her every 5 minutes or so, and she responds. I can remember being 5yo and my mom leaving me in the bathtub for an hour or more (I LOVED to be in the tub) while she worked around the house.

She can wet her hair by herself, and may start washing it by herself soon.

She hates showers, unless you are in with her. She had a bad experience at her mom's with a showerhead falling on her, so she is scared to shower by herself. That and she hates getting water in her face (though she no longer screams like you are pulling her toenails out one by one). 

• Options
    My DD is 4 and started taking showers last summer when she was 3.  We had been on vacation and they didn't have a tub.  I still help her but she does most of it herself and I am guessing within the next year, she will not need my help.  I am in the bathroom with her the whole time.
    Jenni Mom to DD#1 - 6-16-06 DD#2 - 3-13-08 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"