Baby Showers
Options

Looking for suggestions...

Sounds like I may have a few kids joining my baby shower.  Just wondering if anyone knows something entertaining to do while we have the shower.  looks like three 5-year-olds and a one and a two year-old...

Re: Looking for suggestions...

• Options

Probably the easiest thing would be to set out some coloring books and crayons.

DH's cousins brought their little girls (both under 2) and a friend brought her son (3) to my shower and they were fine.  The parents brought something for them to do and even a present for the little girls to open while I was opening presents (although they still made a B-line for my pile, but I thought it was cute).

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

crafts - easy they can do own their own

coloring books - we had these at the children's area of my wedding and it worked great

Lilypie First Birthday tickers imageLilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Is there a pre-teen in the family that may not care a lot about being involved in the shower activities that could occupy them???

That's what we did, I paid her $10 and gave her a goody bag with lip gloss, nail polish and other girly goodies in it and she kept the lil ones occupied outside and in one bedroom of the house. It was a big step for her because she wanted to start babysitting her lil siblings soon, and she did really well, they watched a movie, colored and played in the back yard. I also gave the lil kids a bag with some cheap matchbox cars and a crayons. Everyone was HAPPY. 

• Options
    they're not your kids, make their moms who are bringing them bring the entertainment
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

I second the idea of hiring a tennage helper to watch/entertain the kids.  If you have a sperate room, you can even set them up in there for when you are opening gifts b/c as exciting as presents are - it takes a long time and the kids will get bored, especially if the presents are not for them (which obviously they aren't).  I would suggest kid friendly games with little prizes that the sitter can play with them.  Coloring is good.  If you have a seperate room you could have a portable DVD player with movies. 

While I do agree with the pp who said it is the parents job to entertain them, realistically that doesn't always happen.  Some parents watch and entertain their kids (and will still do so), but other don't. 

Personally, it is for this reason that I don't like small children at showers (and didn't have them at my bridal shower).  Older kids - preteens are fine and so are small babies that a mom might not want to leave at home.  But, once they are walking and into things I just think it's so hard.  Showers, even baby showers, are not designed for kids - they are really adult events, with adult type fun and conversation.  Anytime I see a mom with young kids at a shower, she never seems to really enjoy herself - or she enjoys herself and the kids run wild. 

Good luck!! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Ok!!! well thanks for the input! I will pass the ideas on to the shower committee!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"