Attachment Parenting
Options

Is Stroller-Free Possible?

We are thinking about not having a stroller ever or at least not until LO is old enough for umbrella one later on. I figure at the grocery store and around we'll wear him, but what about in a dressing room when trying on clothes? Any other glaring places I might want one? I'm not against a stroller, I just don't really want to haul one around, worry about it fitting in the trunk of DH's smaller car, etc. unless there is a marked benefit.

Re: Is Stroller-Free Possible?

• Options
    The only time I use a stroller is at the mall (trying on clothes) or when we're going for a walk around the neighborhood. At the grocery, restaurants, etc I wear her. She likes the RS much more than the stroller anyway.
  • Options
    I've never used a stroller except for running.  I definitely think if you plan to wear, it's something you can wait on.  You can always buy one if you find that you have situations where wearing isn't working for you.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imagefredalina:
    I've only used a stroller maybe 5 times total and I could have done without each time. You can always get a snap n go for the infant seat if you use one for those rare mall trips. We did use the bucket to carry some when she fell asleep, etc, and those are most of the times we used the travel system. And if you find you need one, you can always buy one!

I forgot to mention--if we did stroller-free we would only get a convertible seat and skip the infant seat.

• Options

imagencbelle:
    I've never used a stroller except for running.  I definitely think if you plan to wear, it's something you can wait on.  You can always buy one if you find that you have situations where wearing isn't working for you.

Yes

We only use our running stroller.  The other one was a waste of money.

• Options

We didn't use our stroller until he was 6 months old. He hated it. Now that the weather is nicer though, we go on long family walks, and he's just a bit too heavy to carry for more than about 45 minutes or so (He's 25 lbs at 8 months). We have a jogging stroller that we use for our walks and jogging, and we just bought an umbrella stroller for our upcoming vacation, because the BOB is just too big to haul around (we're going to Spain). We've used the umbrella stroller a few times, but often it is a lot easier to just throw him in a carrier. We used our ring sling exclusively, and we just bought an Ergo Performance because he just got too heavy.

That being said, we'll still bring the carrier with us on our trip in case he has a melt down! It came in handy yesterday, that's for sure. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I've never used my stroller, but it may come in handy when he's older and heavier.
  • Options
    We decided not to register for a travel system or stroller and I kind of regret it.  We get by wearing most of the time but he's such a difficult napper now that it would be nice to be able to transfer him from the car to the house without waking him up (we have a convertible car seat).  Also, we're visiting L.A. right now and the hotel offers shuttles to nearby attractions so having a smaller, infant seat with attachable stroller would be nice because I'm not lugging around a convertible carseat while siteseeing, ha! So we have to drive and pay parking, etc. Oh and wearing at restaurants is really annoying in my opinion.  He won't sit still in the carrier and if he's asleep, it is difficult to eat with him in the way.  I would love a bucket just for that purpose. Otherwise, wearing works out well.  We wouldn't have paid money, but I say register for one and if you get it, great, if not wait and see if you need it.
  • Options

I vote for getting a cheap second hand pram.

I have a pouch sling, a woven wrap and a pram and all of them have been useful and really valuable in various situations. We also had an infant seat and snap'n'go wheels which we hired for 6mths.

Pram - I use it for: clothes shopping, walking to the library and carrying books in the undercarriage, having LO in the garden in the shade while I do some gardening, can put her down to nap in it whilst out and about but my hands are busy eg. we went to a place where you paint your own mug and they glaze it for you. I couldn't have done it with her on my chest and in the way, but she happily slept in her pram beside me. Also I remember the very early days when I was getting my uterus back together and being able to take a gentle stroll with the pram was a great way to get fresh air but not too taxing.

Ring sling- great for just popping into a shop or on a short errand.

Woven- great for carrying in general but especially longer treks or errands, or going places where prams can't easily go like bush walks, public transport etc

wheels/infant seat- great not having to transfer her when sleeping. 

I got my pram for $50 and went second hand because I wanted a four wheel style but everyone I know has a three wheeler, so I wanted to see if I really wanted to go against the crowd without committing heaps of dollars. It is in perfect condition and does everything I want/need.

Elizabeth 5yrs old Jane 3yrs old

• Options
    We didn't register for or get one.  We figured that if we wanted it later, we could pick one up.  We did pick up a jogging stroller when DD was around 5 months old, and someone gave us a cheap umbrella stroller that I only used when I had two non-walkers.  We didn't have a baby bucket, either.  I never missed having either.  We watch another little guy (16 months) during the week, and even when he was tiny, I wore him and put DD in the stroller, or wore DD on my back and carried him, or wore them both.  It worked for us.  I'm a total klutz, though, and I've never figured out how to go through a door with a stroller, among other things.  Stick out tongue
  • Options

I just sold our Bob on CL. I held onto it thinking maybe Ari would get too heavy to be worn or tire of it, but we only have used the Bob a handful of times & Ari just really prefers being worn or walking. He hates strollers. I ended up buying more supportive slings. LOL.

Seriously, if you decide you need one, get one later. Slings/carriers don't take up trunk space & are just easier.  

• Options

I use a stroller/bike trailer constantly, so it wouldn't be possible for me, but we live in the city and don't own a car.

My child prefers sitting in her stroller/trailer instead of being worn, and I am okay with that. It works for our lifestyle.

We had a stroller that faced towards us from newborn age up until a year, and that worked well (Kolcraft Contours Options three wheel stroller). Now we have a lightweight stroller (Quinny Zapp, 13 pounds, super compact, can be used with Maxi Cosi infant seat) and a bike trailer/stroller/jogger (Chariot Cougar).

• Options
    We have only used our stroller 3 or 4 times in DS's two years and really didn't even need it those times.  I wish we hadn't spent the money on a stroller!  The only stroller I could see using are one of those that prop the baby up high and facing the pusher. 
  • Options
    I actually use my stroller a lot. I don't have a bulky travel system though. I have a pram style one where he can face me.  For me, I don't think I could get away with not having one.
  • Options
    I have a great jogging stroller. I don't own a car so if I have to go long distance, then I pop her in it and then take my carrier for when I get there. Also, its been so hot here and I heat up very easily so wearing DD has been hard this summer. Once its winter again and the snow is up to my armpits, I will use the stroller less.
  • Options
    I had the same stroller-free sentiments and I'm so glad we didn't bother with one. They are a total PITA in the city, especially. We got a lightweight stroller at ~15 mos. DD was so sad in it at first but now she likes it for a change of pace on occasion. 
  • Options
    We got a snap and go, and although we don't use it often, I'm glad we have it. I don't like wearing at restaurants and the bucket really comes in handy for those times. She loves being worn when I'm moving, but if I'm just sitting at a table she gets antsy... in the carseat she can look around, etc and if she gets fussy DH or I just hold her. I've also used it when trying on clothes... and at a picnic, so I could put her in the shade when she was sleeping, and not have to worry about bugs and stuff. I think being stroller-free is possible, but am glad we sprung for the snap and go. 
  • Options
    We hardly ever use our travel system stroller, but as a PP said, it's nice in restaurants (although my DD doesn't stay in lit ong - she'd rather be held).  I've used it on walks a few times, but DD prefers to go for walks in the Moby wrap.  It was used a few times this summer when we would go to an outdoor mall by our house and it was too hot to wear her.  So has it been helpful at times?  Yes.  Has it been a necessity?  Definitely not.
  • Options

Hey -- Congratulations!!

Unlike most others on here, I can't imagine not having a stroller.  Maybe it's because I live in Florida where it's always hot, but I would never want to wear DD on a walk.  When she was teeny and colicy I would sometimes walk her outside to calm her down, and I used a carrier then, but for regular exercise walks it would be way too hot for both of us.

For shopping I almost always wore her before she could sit up in a cart on her own, but there were a few times where having the infant seat and snap and go were a lifesaver -- like running into the pet store to buy a huge bag of dog food (which I wouldn't be able to pick up while holding DD).

I'd say it's probably something you can wait on, but have one in mind so you can order it quickly if you decide you need it!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Apparently the doll needed a time out... image
  • Options

We only have a jogging stroller, nothing else.  We love it and do take it for long walks at times, but there are no situations (except jogging!) that I can think of where we would neeeed the stroller. 

(However, I do feel like I neeeeed a third mei tai, haha....)

• Options

Possible?  Absolutely.

But it's not something I would have attempted.  DS doesn't like to be in the carrier for too long and never has.

• Options

Anything is possible.  But I wouldn't have found it practical nor do I think mommies get any awards for not using a stroller.  I am very very AP light (we co-slept in an Arms Reach for the first months, I wore her about 70% of the time before I got pregnant again, breast fed, etc...) so take what I have ot say with a grain of salt I guess.  But I do have a very very happy little girl.

I think strollers are SAFER in many areas.  For example, last winter I took a VERY bad spill in a parking lot because of black ice.  It was BAD (hit my head VERY hard).  If I would have been wearing my DD I have no idea how badly injured she would have been.  I am SO thankful I had her in her stroller (that was purposeful, I had seen people slipping and sliding getting into the store and I immediately put her in a stroller).  And right now in the DC area at 100 degrees every day I can't imagine trying to carry a small baby in a carrier outside for more than a few minutes.

Also, if you are very active, strollers are really great.  I have a BOB Revolution and we do several miles of running/walking.  I couldnt jog with my ergo or babyhawk.  Not safe or practical.

I would just get something cheap (like a snap 'n go) and see.  Then if you want something else you can get it.  WE have a MacLaren umbrella stroller now that DD is 13 months.  It is to get from point A to point B (now that I am 29 weeks pregnant and she is 20+ pounds it is tough to carry her anywhere that isn't around the house). 

Bottom line: evaluate your lifestyle.  It is OKAY to have things for safety and convenience.  AP is great, but nobody is going to give you a gold medal or standing ovation at the BRU because you have her in a sling and not in the cart or stroller.  And as much as I love holding and cuddling my DD every chance I get, the fact that she WILL go into a stroller (happily) and will go into a carrier (happily) and will go into a shopping cart (happily) is a major plus for me. I didn't want her becoming "attached" to only one thing. She knows that the cart/stroller isn't forever and likes to be able to check things out when we are at the store.  Win win for both of us.

• Options

I wear my DD often, but I absolutely LOVE my stroller and cannot imagine not having one.  It really depends on your lifestyle, though.  For me, without a stroller I would feel tied to home, because I don't wear her for long walking trips and I'd be afraid that if I was very far from home I'd end up exhausted.  We walk for miles every week.  Personally, I wouldn't be nearly that active without a stroller - and I love that she likes going for walks and gets antsy if we are stuck inside for too long.  (FWIW, I have an UppaBaby Vista).  Early on it was essential because I had a c/s and I needed it during recovery and now it is essential because she's heavy and I have a crappy back.  Anyway, it might work out  for you to go without, but based upon my personal experience it isn't something I would recommend.  

• Options

When it gets really hot here, neither Matthew nor I is comfortable babywearing, even with something lightweight. It can be in excess of 32 degrees here plus humidity. In the spring and fall we prefer to babywear but the stroller is our means to get around in the summer and winter. I don't want to fall on a patch of ice and hurt him, even with my hands free. I'd rather know he's safe in the stroller.

Plus, when I'm shopping, sometimes I need more than I can carry and we don't own a car, so I need the stroller basket for storage.

• Options
    trying on clothes is the only time i`ve needed one, and i just used the loaner at the mall. i would think you`d almost definitely need one if you had a baby and then one under any walking-long-distances-comfortably age. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"