Breastfeeding
Options

Newbie Question...

Hello All!

I am a new mom, my first babygirl, Pascha, was born August 27, 2010.  We are home and both healthy and hungry!  At the hospital, with the assistance of the lactation consultant, DD did very well breastfeeding, and seemed very satisfied with the colostrum.  (She slept very well after her burp, and even grinned in her sleep!)  Now that we are home, not so much.  The first feed, she took one breast for about 12 minutes, and did not want the other breast, but was still hungry.  I am not sure if we (my mother and SO) are giving up easy because of her heartwrenching sobs =( or if she is suffering from nipple confusion, but she does not seem to want natural nipple anymore.  The nurses at the hospital gave her a pacifier that mimicks the shape of a bottle nipple and she would even rather have that horrible thing that isn't giving her any milk, than to latch on properly.  (Ok there's my sob story Embarrassed)

My question is, is it too early, with only colostrum in my breast to begin pumping?  If so, what else can I do to continue breastfeeding?  I love the bonding time as well as how satisfied she becomes after having the breast.  The formula first provided by the hospital gives her gas, and they changed her to a lactose-free sensitive formula and it doesn't seem to fill her up!  They told me 2 oz. every 3-4 hours and she is eating her hands and refusing to be burped after 2.5 oz. so my mom gave her 4 oz this last feed.  I really want to follow the rules and have a healthy baby and breastfeeding seems to be the only way to do so.. any suggestions?

Photobucket
Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

Re: Newbie Question...

• Options
    Not sure if I missed something...If you are trying to BF why are you giving her formula??
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imagemchell9:
    Not sure if I missed something...If you are trying to BF why are you giving her formula??

Before I had the lactation consultant assist me at the hospital, she wouldn't latch and I didn't want het to cry, so I the nursery gave us some formula.

Photobucket
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I don't know if this is what you should do, but maybe just keep trying to feed her as much as possible on the breast and hopefully as soon as your milk comes in you should be able to satisfy her hunger.  My milk came in very quickly around day 3 or 4, so perhaps you won't have to wait too long and this will all solve itself and then you won't have to supplement anymore?
  • Options

Colostrum is all the baby needs in the first few days...it has all the liquid and nourishment and antibodies needed! And all that sucking at the breast is what helps your milk come in with a good supply. IMO, if you are trying to BF...you shouldn't be pumping or giving formula or pacifiers right now.

My advice (but contact a LC for some official educating)...sit in a comfy chair and offer the breast as often and as frequently as you can every couple hours until your milk comes in. You don't have to let her suck constantly...but it will likely feel like that.

If after 4-5 days being home, your milk still hasn't come in...call the pedi or LC for help and see what they advise. Did your relatives BF? I'd be hesitant to take their advice if they FF their own infants. It's nature's way...baby sucks and suck...milk comes in. Baby won't starve.

Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimageimage
  • Options
    duplicate post
    Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"