Northern California Babies
Options

Spin off Poll: how long to get your first check from SDI

I can't remember how long it took to get my first check with Darrian. I do remember at the time thinking it was pretty fast compared to what I was told. [Poll]

Re: Spin off Poll: how long to get your first check from SDI

• Options
    I couldn't remember with the first, but this one is fresh so I remember! The first day of my disability was 8/2. Kaiser couldn't submit the paperwork until 8/9 (one week waiting period) and my first check was approved 8/19. So it took a little over a week between submission and cutting the check. Really not bad at all. I got the check on 8/23.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

imageMrs.K&C:
    I couldn't remember with the first, but this one is fresh so I remember! The first day of my disability was 8/2. Kaiser couldn't submit the paperwork until 8/9 (one week waiting period) and my first check was approved 8/19. So it took a little over a week between submission and cutting the check. Really not bad at all. I got the check on 8/23.

Remind me on 8/23 are you backpaid till 8/9?

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Yes - the check cut on 8/19 was for 10 days. After that, they cut a check every two weeks (ish). So you definitely have a lag, but it's not too bad. My private disability insurance however? Total nightmare. It's a different company than I had last time (this time it's Anthem) and both times have been a major hassle. Last time I don't think I got a check from them until after S was born - I was on bedrest for 4.5 months! The state was last time and so far this time massively more efficient than private insurance.
  • Options

So if I chose to take my leave two weeks later than what I'm cleared for, it's possible, (most likely) I will not receive my first check until after the baby is born?  Granted that the baby is on time.

ETA: Do you call in to check the status of your claim, or can you do that online?

• Options
    imageSJBride05:

So if I chose to take my leave two weeks later than what I'm cleared for, it's possible, (most likely) I will not receive my first check until after the baby is born?  Granted that the baby is on time.

ETA: Do you call in to check the status of your claim, or can you do that online?

I am not 100% on your first question. I know that if you wait till you go into labor you won't get a check till about 2-3 weeks after. (one week you won't be paid on).

I remember being able to call and check on it, but I think it was after the first check came.

• Options
    imageSJBride05:

Yes, most likely you wouldn't receive a check until after the baby arrives. IMO, to be safe, it's best to have 4 weeks of savings on hand (meaning 4 weeks of your normal salary or close to it) during the time you file for disability. You will be without $$ for a bit, and once you do receive $$ you will still be a week or so behind. 

There is an 800 number you can call for status of your claim and all upcoming checks. But know that they will not have a record of you in the system until that first check is cut - so my first check this time was cut 8/19. I called 8/19 and they had no record of my claim. I believe they say it can take up to 4 weeks to process and I was well within that time frame, so I didn't pursue it. Then I call a few days later and the check had been mailed...so on 8/19 they did have my claim, just not my check - which is all the automated system can give you. You can't check status online to my knowledge.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"