Stay at Home Moms
Options

Is it possible to watch a 10 mo. old and 2 mo. old 5 days a week?!

I am considering watching my friend's baby when he/she is born. My LO will be about 10 mos and her newborn will be around 2 mos when I start watching him/her (she doesn't know the gender). Anyways, do you think this is physically and mentally (ha!) possible to do?!! I would appreciate any advice!

Re: Is it possible to watch a 10 mo. old and 2 mo. old 5 days a week?!

• Options

Possible: Yes, but you will lack some sanity. I started watching a newborn when my DD was 11mos. It is very hard some days. It got better when my LO started walking since I didnt have to always hold her or worry about the whole double stroller thing, but just like having more than one child, some days are better than others. One peice of advise is to not change your LO's routine. It will help them adjust and also having a schedule for you and them will really help you.

I dont watch the infant that much anymore, only as needed since the babies father got laid off from work but if you need the money and you are up for it, then do it! :)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    It's possible... technically... but you might be pushing yourself a little too far.  It depends on the temperment and schedules of both babies, or your stamina...
            image image  image 
    To be loved, and to be in love
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

It's POSSIBLE, but may not be enjoyable at all........

I, personally, wouldn't do it. I had 3 kids in 3 years and it almost killed me!

GL!

image Mommy to Barbara 11/8/05, Elisabeth 5/13/07, Loukas 12/23/08 and Lazarus 09/25/12
  • Options

I've done it before, only my baby was the younger one.  It wasn't easy, but it wasn't tough either.  The boy I was watching was actually 15 months old and I started watching him when my baby was 3 months old.   I just had to get the older child on a routine.  Once he was on a routine things went smoothly.

Now, I've got 3 kids (ages 5, 3 and 7mos) and I am also watching an after school kid the same age as my oldest.  So far everything's gone smooth.  We've got a nice routine that works for us.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I am still sane after nearly 5 months
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Possible, yes. Would I do it full time? Not a chance in hell. By that time your child will be mobile and into *everything* plus the separation anxiety cling starts at 9-10 months as well. I couldn't. It's making me anxious just thinking about it!

I watch DD along with a 2 year old and a less than 6 month old 1-2x week for a few hours. It's do-able, mainly because the older two have each other to play with and the baby doesn't move. You wouldn't have either of those things to your advantage.

I know dcp's do it every day, but I could not do it and maintain sanity. If you are the type that would enjoy it and/or really need the money, than go ahead, give it a shot. But for me? Fvck no.

imageimageLilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options

It's definitely possible.  I watched our neighbor's son who is a month younger than DS for the first year of his life (so I had 2 newborns).  DD was about 2 1/2 at the time.  It was exhausting, but doable.

I'm glad I'm not still doing it though.  The thought of two 2 years olds in addition to my other kids makes me want to run away!

DD1 - 12.25.05
    (m/c 1.17.07, m/c 5.15.07)
    DS - 03.15.08
    DD2 - 12.03.09
    DD3 - 3.28.11
  • Options

Someone on here had a bad episode when watching a friend's kid.  I'm not sure what happened, but they are no longer friends.

SAHM to DD1 (7), DS (5) and DD2 (1)
  • Options
    I did it, in addition to two other children (11 months and 13 months).  Yes, it got a little crazy, but I love kids and it worked for me.  I also like the extra money.  I don't watch three other kids every day, but a couple days a week I have a full house.  I still watch the younger child every day though.  It took a few weeks to get a routine down, but I figured it out and DS loves him.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers, Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

Possible, yes, but I personally think it is a bad idea especially since it is a friend of your's. That just has it's only issues when you start babysitting friend's kids on a full time basis. Someone always feels taken advantage of and since you will be the one very stressed, it will probably be you to feel this way. I have a 10 month and I think I could probably do it but my baby happens to be very easy. Saying I could do it doesn't mean I'd choose to.  

• Options
    I had my 1mo., a 6mo., a 1yr. old, and my 2yr.old...full time.  It was do-able, BUT I am BIG on schedules and routines.  Without a rigid (but flexible when necessary) routine, I couldn't have done it!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"