Attachment Parenting
Options

Considering "spiking" DD's school sippy w/ BM

We hung out w/ DD at the school where she will start attending three days a week this morning. We had been told that they do not allow sippies so I figured BM was out of the equation while at school. We brought a box of rice milk for her to have with her snack today. (She has a milk allergy and I prefer to avoid milk alternatives) However both kids in her class had thermos sippies w/ milk.

I asked the director about the sippies and she said it was fine and asked what Harper drinks. I said she nurses at home but that we had brought her rice milk. I didn't ask if she could bring BM but I assume it is not o.k. I would like to send her w/ a thermos sippy of BM and not give soy/rice milk etc. I'm just not sure if this is a good idea since in theory another kid could try to drink out of her cup. The kids don't run free w/ their cups and have to sit where they are being watched at structured times during the day, it is not chaotic but kids that age like to "share".

Thoughts? I feel like this is a moral dillema...what is best for DD vs. what may be best for the other kids. I mean unless the teacher or director drank out of her sippy they would never no the difference...Zip it!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Re: Considering "spiking" DD's school sippy w/ BM

• Options
    P.S.  Honest opinions are welcome just no flames please :-) This is a very hard week...
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options

I'm very suprised that they have a no sippy rule for the under 2yo class. DD's 2yo class last year all used sippies. Maybe they mean no spout sippies and they're just trying to move the kids to straw cups? So straw sippies might be ok?

If I send milk I send 2 cups. One with milk and one with water or watered juice. They refill the kids cups with water as needed and no one likes to drink watered milk.

Honestly I wouldn't even think twice about sending whatever you want her to drink, even BM. If they are only drinking at snack times and meal times then the teachers should be watching closely. I doubt there is that much drink sharing.

- Jena
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Am I missing something?  What would be wrong with sending in BM? 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

My only concern is that other parents may not appreciate learning that their child drank a stranger's BM if their child decided to drink from DD's sippy. Again, they are supervised and sitting down. I think it is fine I just think I will keep the contents of her sippy to myself.

• Options
    aciaacia member

I say let her take the BM. 

If I were a parent and I found out that my child drank someone else's BM, I'd be a lot less upset than if she drank sugary juice, soda, etc. In fact, I think other kids should be so lucky as to get your BM.

I hate that our society finds it weird to drink someone else's breast milk, yet we have no problem drinking cow or other types of animal milk. "Human milk" makes a lot more sense to me!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageacia:

I say let her take the BM. 

If I were a parent and I found out that my child drank someone else's BM, I'd be a lot less upset than if she drank sugary juice, soda, etc. In fact, I think other kids should be so lucky as to get your BM.

I hate that our society finds it weird to drink someone else's breast milk, yet we have no problem drinking cow or other types of animal milk. "Human milk" makes a lot more sense to me!

I totally agree and am laughing about the juice comment. I'm just not sure if the world outside of our extended breastfeeding bubble feels the same way.

• Options
    imageHarper'smom:

I totally agree and am laughing about the juice comment. I'm just not sure if the world outside of our extended breastfeeding bubble feels the same way.

I'm pretty sure the rest of the world doesn't!  My daycare center accidentally gave DD a bottle of another baby's BM one day and they made a huge deal out of it.  I had to sign all these forms and they contacted the other mom to ask her if she'd undergo medical testing...it was crazy, IMO.  I told them that I'd actually be more upset if they gave her formula!  I could tell by their reaction, though, that I'm in the minority on that one.  They consider BM a "biohazard" (which I think is probably just corporate CYA, but annoys me).  I'd go the don't-ask-don't-tell route if I were you. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I'd be more concerned that the other kids might share their milk with her considering your DD has a milk allergy.  I wouldn't even think twice about putting BM in her sippy.  But I do, admittedly give a judging eye roll to the parents who put juice or soda in their kids sippies.
  • Options

imageMissyOlivePants:
    I'd be more concerned that the other kids might share their milk with her considering your DD has a milk allergy. 

This is one of the reasons I am leaning towards sending the BM. I know they will be watching the food/drink situation closely (hopefully),

• Options

The only reason I would ever think of letting a daycare know about BM is if a caretaker is going to be handling it (eg: pouring it from a thermos into a sippy).  And I only say that because BM is a bodily fluid (that isn't pasteurized or irradiated) and can theoretically contain many viruses.  YES, I agree human milk is superior to cow milk for babies - but that doesn't eliminate the fact that some women DO have HIV and other viruses that can be transported through BM and the worker has a right to know what s/he is handling.

I sent BM to daycare with my DD from day one.  My babysitter knew it and was totally 100% fine with it (she happens to be a good friend of mine too so maybe she just trusted I was disease-free).  But I would have never sent it under the guise that it was pasteurized cow milk or something else. 

• Options
    I see no reason why you should be less than honest about it. Just tell them you're sending her BM- I have no idea why they would have a problem with it. 
    DS May 12, 2009 DD September 7, 2011
  • Options
    I agree with all PPs; send the BM, be up front about it, etc.  Like one PP said, I'd be stressing the importance on non-sharing because of DD's milk allergy.
  • Options

All daycares and preschools get dropped in on by the state agencies. If they found a bottle of "bodily fluid" that wasn't labeled as such, the center would get written up. Also, even though you feel another child drinking your breast milk is not a big deal, not every parent feels that way. I know of several babies on the bump who got another baby's breastmilk bottle, and the mother of the other baby had to get tested for HIV. Some parents aren't cool with it. I say to send it, but let them know.

I'm not trying to be a *** here--my daughter was nursed by another mom, and drank donated BM exclusively from 10.5 months until 12 months, and then part time until 15 months. I'm just saying that not everyone is okay with it. 

• Options
    I doubt that the school would have a policy against BM.  That would seem like an awfully ridiculous policy to have.  I would say to just tell them you have decided to go with the BM instead of the ricemilk that you had planned on.  Since you're planning on the thermos, there's no extra planning and work for the classroom teachers.  Also, I've worked in toddler classrooms.  They children are closely monitored at meal and snack times for safety reasons.  If you have good teachers, there should be little chance of another child going for a swig.
    Anniversary Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    PitaPata Dog tickers PitaPata Dog tickers

~Started TTC 2/09. BFP #1 11/09. EDD 8/7/10. DS born 8/7/10.~
    ~Surprise BFP #2 5/11 while still BF'ing. Natural M/C @ 7w3d.~
    ~BFP #3 8/11. EDD 4/24/12. Heavy bleeding episodes from a lost twin. DD born 4/14/12.~
    ~Started TTC 2/13. BFP #4 3/13. EDD 11/8/13. Hoping for smooth sailing!~
  • Options

PLEASE tell the center. As a previous poster mentioned, they could get in big trouble for having unlabeled BM in the classroom. They probably won't care (they shouldn't- and if they do, get a pedi's note and it will be fine) and it will make them be extra cautious so your DD doesn't drink anybody else's cup because of her allergy and also that nobody else grabs her cup.

I BF, I have donated milk.. but I would NOT be happy if I found out that Emmy took a swig of another babies sippy of BM. It's one thing to SELECT another person to provide BM for your child, another for it to happen by accident and find out after the fact.

• Options
    I don't see a problem with sending BM. If another child drinks from DDs cup..oops. Unless of course you have some disease that can be transmitted through BM. 
  • Options

be honest with the school.  talk to them about it.  

• Options

definitely send the EBM if you want her to have it, but tell them about it. it would suck if they got in trouble. i wouldn't have thought of that aspect, but PPs make a good point there.

i send about 7-10 oz of EBM to school daily, and they give it to sprout in her straw cup with seated snacks +/or lunch. easy peasy, and no big deal at all. we send a different cup for water. i can guarantee you the teachers think i'm weird for sending it for such a "big kid", but i don't mind that as long as it doesn't change the way they care for DD. (it hasn't. they are nuts about her despite her weirdo mama.)

1 kiddo in her class drinks rice milk bc of a milk allergy. the others are drinking cow's milk i think. they watch the sharing as closely as is possible.

• Options

imageMrsMoody2006:
    I don't see a problem with sending BM. If another child drinks from DDs cup..oops. Unless of course you have some disease that can be transmitted through BM. 

You seriously don't see why that would be a problem? The OP knows she doesn't have any diseases, but the other kiddo's mother doesn't know ANYTHING about her. I would not at all even a little bit be okay with Emmy drinking a stranger's BM, even if they do give it to their own kid.

• Options
    imagecindy453:

imageMrsMoody2006:

You seriously don't see why that would be a problem? The OP knows she doesn't have any diseases, but the other kiddo's mother doesn't know ANYTHING about her. I would not at all even a little bit be okay with Emmy drinking a stranger's BM, even if they do give it to their own kid.

Thank you, I have no diseases. I'm either going to discuss it with the director or not send it. I don't want to cause any problems with the school or other parents. I appreciate all the input, I'm a little overwhelmed by this transistion.
  • Options
    I really hope that you do decide to send the milk with her. Tell the center and be honest about it. It is your right as a mother to feed your child what you want! They should be keeping a careful eye on the cups so no sharing takes place because of allergies anyway!! The only issue the center should have is refrigeration issues since it is a body fluid. Please talk to the center and work something out!
    Hatching the Hawks
    Hatching the Hawks
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Send the BM, but tell them about it.  That way they will make sure it doesn't get shared.  I would be horrified if my DD drank someone else's BM.  Maybe I have issues, but I'm sure I'm not the only one thinking this way.  
  • Options
    Sounds like you are making the right choice Yes I don't have any experience dealing with daycares but my only suggestion would be to clearly label her cup not only to ensure it doesn't get switched with someone else's that may look similar and they get BM but also so she doesn't get cow milk or juice.  GL!!! I hope the director is supportive.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"