Attachment Parenting
Options

Thank you Acia!

I was recently inspired by your recent sleep training stories.  In the past we had done some Ferber type training, and it worked for us, despite being painful, but recently my dd was having trouble falling asleep again.  We recently started daycare, and that on top of some real separation anxiety.  I decided that crying it out was no longer appropriate or productive for us.  Rocking her was taking at least an hour, and then there is the heart stopping moment where I have to put her down and pray she stays asleep.  I really didn't want to go back to this as we had worked hard to get away from it.  The past three nights I tried your way (I called it "hugging it out" Big Smile ).  The first night it took about 45 minutes, and the last two it took about 20-30 minutes.  I didn't have to pick her up, just hugged her and rubbed her back, and hummed to her.  Still not easy or a sure thing, but much better! 

So thanks!  How is your dd doing?  how long does it take her to go down?

Re: Thank you Acia!

• Options
    aciaacia member

That's awesome! I'm so glad you're having some success. It's definitely not a "quick fix," but I'd rather go slow than risk traumatizing DD (or me!). Isn't it the best feeling when LO finally falls asleep on their own, after so much time rocking & nursing & bouncing & walking to sleep? Even if a few tears proceed it, I always feel such a sense of accomplishment when she finally falls asleep in her crib.

I think it does get better, as long as you're consistent and stick with it, and try to offer gradually less and less "support" each night (or every couple nights). I find that now Finnley pushes my hand off her back when she's had enough stimulation, and wants to go to sleep on her own. Definitely a far cry from having to be nursed or rocked to sleep!

Finnley has been working on a new tooth, so things haven't been great around here. I find it really hard not pick her up when I know it's some kind of physical discomfort that can be aided by nursing, and to be honest I've broken down a couple times and nursed her in the middle of the night to help comfort her.

Going down at night is pretty easy, though. She'll usually fuss or cry for less than 5 minutes (if at all), and then she's out. And even on a "bad" night, she usually only wakes once or twice.

PS - I love that you named the technique - I'm definitely going to be referring it to "hugging it out" from now on!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"