Attachment Parenting
Options

Is a ring sling easier to use than the moby?

I think my problem with the moby now (besides the fact that it's too hot to wear it) is that my baby is just so big. She's 6 wks old, about 13 lbs and 23 1/2". I've tried the cradle hold, but it was tough to get such a long baby in position. Plus I'm only 5'4", and I just don't have a long enough torso. What other holds would be better, especially since she still needs the head support?

The ring slings look like they would work better for us, but the ordering process looks so complicated. How do I know what size to order? I still have a lot of baby weight to lose. Does that effect sizing too? Is a ring sling easier to figure out than the moby?

Annalise Marie 05.29.06
Charlotte Ella 07.16.10
Emmeline Grace 03.27.13

Re: Is a ring sling easier to use than the moby?

• Options

Most people are fine in a medium RS.  They're easier, but get uncomfortable quickly because all the weight is on one shoulder.

Have you tried a hug hold with the Moby?  DS never liked the cradle hold. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I second PP's comment to try the hug hold. I never could get the cradle hold right, and DD didn't like it nearly as much as being upright. It only gave me one free hand (because I had to offer head support) if she was awake, but when she fell asleep I could tuck her head in and have both hands free.

And yes, ring slings are easier... but IMO, not nearly as comfortable. I like them for quick errands, but rarely use mine other than that.  

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    We only used the hug hold with the moby. Never got the hang of any of the other holds. With the RS, I can only handle the hip carry, so didn't get into it until DS was a bit older.
    Married 4/12/08 DS born 11/17/2009 via c-section at 39 weeks. 11/12/2011 BFP #2!! m/c 7w5d. 2/28/2012 BFP #3 Beta #1-12dpo = 18; Beta #2-16dpo = 185; Beta #3-18dpo = 505. EDD 11/10/2012. Ectopic discovered at 5w4d. D&C followed by methotrexate.
  • Options

IMO the ring sling is SOO much harder for me to use...but I think it is because we started with the Moby and LOVED it.  My DS is 3 months and is almost 16lbs and it is still comfy for us...I just wore him this weekend for nearly an entire day at a festival that we went to.  Try the hug hold with legs out...that is what we found to be most comfy for us.  I could never get him to like the cradle hold.

GL!  If you do get a ring sling I hope you love it, but I also hope you can find some love for your moby too :)

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Options

Definitely try the hug hold (I had a big baby and I never did the "newborn hug" just the regular hug).  It was great. . . but I definitely had to stop wearing him outside in the Moby this summer.

I just got a ring sling and I really like it, but I don't think I would have liked it when he was younger with less head/body control.  I purposely bought it to use on a long, overnight plane ride, but I used it while camping this weekend (would throw him on my hip when he wanted to be held) and it was great. . . even though he can't sit up yet, he's a big guy (over 20 lbs.) and I could do sort of a supported hip-carry to give my arms a break.

imageimage Ashley Sawtelle Photography
  • Options
    The ringlsing is easier to get on and off but the moby is more versatile.  I don't like craddle hold, never have, and to be honest, DD still hates it at 4m.
  • Options
    Definitely hug hold, and they also have a hip carry in the moby that will give you a bit of an idea about how it would feel in a ring sling.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"