Attachment Parenting
Options

Food Sensitivity Check In

This check in is for mamas who have had to restrict their diet due to food sensitivities in their LOs or themselves.

No theme this week - anything goes!!

Any random tips, vents, etc. are also welcome.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Food Sensitivity Check In

• Options
    Ari finally has the GI appt we've been waiting nearly 5 months for this Thursday. Overall he's been doing pretty well since I did the TED 4 months ago, but he's had some issues with loose stool and/or diarrhea plus some random facial flushing for the last 2 weeks. There are 3 or 4 things that could've caused it. I'm really hoping it clears up quickly. I guess we'll ask the GI about it. I'm really nervous about the appt - I was feeling pretty good about it up until this recent bout of poop/rash problems. I really don't want to put him through more tests. We were making such good progress, I can't imagine dropping any more foods right now either.
  • Options

Good luck with your appointment!

I'm hungry and frustrated, C still isn't 100% so I'm not going to reintroduce.  I got new bath wash and diaper area cleanser (to use instead of commercial wipes) for super sensitive skin in the hopes that his skin issues are contact dermatitis (which I have, along with eczema) and not food-related.

After reading up on couscous (which I thought was safe) I discover it's made from wheat?!?!  Ugh.  I need to do more research, along with figuring out what the difference is between a wheat allergy and a gluten allergy and if I need to be avoiding gluten right now.  Chicken is a central part of my diet, and I'm terrified to cut it, but it may be causing the issues.  I've been considering corn as well, but that cuts out SO many food options (along with my caffeine free Pepsi, which is pretty much the only indulgence I get nowadays), and I didn't see a reaction last time I reintroduced, so I'm keeping it.

I'm going to keep avoiding the top 8 and give his new skin products a chance to work (just got them yesterday) because maybe that's not food related?  He has a mild diaper rash but it could be from the thrush that we've had FOREVER and can't seem to get rid of.  If nothing ends up working I guess I'm looking at a TED, but I'm going to avoid that if I can.  I don't want to cut out all this food if that's not the issue, KWIM?

DH doesn't want me to cut anything else.  He's been amazing and supportive, but he doesn't like seeing me frustrated and grumpy because I'm hungry and don't have anything to eat.  

Good news?  I'm back in my skinny clothes that I didn't even fit into pre-preg!   

• Loading the player...
  • Options

DD has a dairy allergy and up until she was 11.5 months I was BF her.  She self weaned then and because she is underweight my pediatrician recommended going to Soy Formula instead of a milk alternative at this time.  (she has been tested and is not allergic to soy) Since she has started formula she is addicted to it.

I am so frustrated because the Pedi said to keep her between 12-18 ounces a day and she wants around 24.  I feel like every week she up's her formula intake and lowers her solids intake.  I know I shouldn't stress too much but eating is a major issue for us.  

Today all she eat for breakfast was a handful of cherrios, lunch has been raisins, cherrios, 2 bites of a Sunbutter sandwich. It's not for a lack of me trying either.  I offer her everything under the sun in hopes she will eat it and I usually get so overwhelmed at meal time....

I guess this is more of a picky eater post than a food sensitivity vent but I have the food allergy to deal with in the mix too.

Sorry to be a "Debbie Downer" but I just feel like a failure.  I try so hard at every meal to make it a positive experience and to make food fun and interesting to have her just get upset and angry with me.  I'm so tired of weight checks...I just want her to be a "normal" weight and move forward.  I can handle the dairy allergy but if she doesn't want to eat, I don't know what to do.Sad

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Hi! Long-time lurker, first time poster...

My LO has AR (on zantac and gripe water) and we're trying to rule out food sensitivities. I myself am lactose intolerant, so there is a chance DD is too. I've been dairy-free for 3 weeks, soy-free for 1 week and taking probiotics for 1 week.  I'm not sure how long it'll take to see a response, but I'm hoping it'll help sooner than later. Any positive or negative experiences would be helpful!!

• Options
    imagePolishWonder:

Hi! Long-time lurker, first time poster...

My LO has AR (on zantac and gripe water) and we're trying to rule out food sensitivities. I myself am lactose intolerant, so there is a chance DD is too. I've been dairy-free for 3 weeks, soy-free for 1 week and taking probiotics for 1 week.  I'm not sure how long it'll take to see a response, but I'm hoping it'll help sooner than later. Any positive or negative experiences would be helpful!!

We used probiotics for a while, then read on the bottle "may contain dairy products," so we stopped. It was BioGaia brand, so be careful. Good luck!
  • Options

We are taking our dairy free life into a new realm this week.DD starts a 3-day a week program at a "school" on Weds. We hung out with her class for a few hours today to help her get acclimated today and then took her with us when we left. Each child brings their own lunch but the shool provides their snacks. The director gave me the snack menu for the month so I can note what DD can and cannot have.The school does feed them fresh and healthy snacks however there is SOOOOOO much dairy. It is frustrating and although I will be able to prepare alternative snacks it is more work and more expensive. The whole thing is just kind of a bummer...

Image and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options

for the couscous issue in the PP, try quinoa. it cooks up a great deal like couscous and we've used it a ton this summer.

harpersmom, i saw your other post re EBM too. i hope the snax go well at DCP. you know that snacks have been my continuing issue with sprout and her DCP. she's old enough to know her food doesn't match, and she wants to try everything. sigh.

on the upside, her school has received enough concerns from assorted parents re allergies that they are disallowing edibles brought in for birthdays. the classes will do a "baking project" that is acceptable for every child in the class to celebrate if the teachers choose. in our class, that means every kiddo will have to do GF (for sprout) and dairy-free for another kiddo. plus, they are too young to know its a birthday, but still... it feels like a huge win for later down the line or for the classes w/older kids.

• Options
    imagee_b_r:

for the couscous issue in the PP, try quinoa. it cooks up a great deal like couscous and we've used it a ton this summer.

harpersmom, i saw your other post re EBM too. i hope the snax go well at DCP. you know that snacks have been my continuing issue with sprout and her DCP. she's old enough to know her food doesn't match, and she wants to try everything. sigh.

on the upside, her school has received enough concerns from assorted parents re allergies that they are disallowing edibles brought in for birthdays. the classes will do a "baking project" that is acceptable for every child in the class to celebrate if the teachers choose. in our class, that means every kiddo will have to do GF (for sprout) and dairy-free for another kiddo. plus, they are too young to know its a birthday, but still... it feels like a huge win for later down the line or for the classes w/older kids.

That is great news regarding your DCP's new policy!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    Hello ladies, I just found this check in and I am so glad i did! DD had MSPI until about 14mos and DS who is 4 mos has it took. I EBF both babies so i am used to it by now, but the diet is still rough and even though I have that worked out DS stil has a lot of lower GI issues and constant diarreah. The reflux is pretty well under contol as he is on axid but @ 4mo check pedi suggested uping to prevacid, so we will see....Just wanted to say Hi and I can't wait for next Monday :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"