Attachment Parenting
Options

Non-baby-related: Raw Milk?

Have any of you heard about this?  Drink it? 

I'm thinking about trying some (I'm not BF), specifically trying to make my own kefir/yogurt to combat Crohns...any input?

Re: Non-baby-related: Raw Milk?

• Options

I know it's trendy but would never consider it myself.  See Joe Mercola and raw milk faddism and Raw Milk - another spectacularly bad idea

• Options

My older brother lives in Wisconsin, where they recently tried to make it legal to sell, or something along those lines, being the dairy state they wanted in on that segment of the industry, I think. They have had quite a few publisized cases up there of people dying from it. He just briefly passed on the story, so I might be wrong about what he really said about it.

Isn't Yogurt cooked?  I'm not sure how you make yogurt, but if you are getting the milk up to a high enough temperature to kill the bacteria, I would think it was safe.  If you aren't then I wouldn't risk it, but I do know people who follow the raw milk movement and are perfectly healthy.   You might try a total elimination diet for your Crohns though, my stepmom has to completely redo her diet because she has developed all kinds of food intolerances.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Personally, I would only try it if the farmer and cow were my BFF's. With the way food is handled these days and the superbugs that crop up I wouldn't risk it. 

If you want to use raw milk for balancing gut bacteria maybe try regular yogurt, kefir, other fermented foods and/or a probiotic supplement. I'm curious to see if probiotics would help w/ DD's eczema but haven't made a concerted effort with it yet.

• Options
    If you KNOW where it is coming from, and the conditions of the facilities then I say why not give it a try? Farmers, and farm families always drink "raw" milk. I would just be REAL careful about where it's coming from. There was a documentary about this on tv that I saw....made the people look like nuts though!
    Hatching the Hawks
    Hatching the Hawks
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"