Adoption
Options

intro and a question

hi everyone!

DH and I are in the *very* early stages of exploring adoption options...i have ordered the idiot's guide to adoption - any other 'must-have' books? we are leaning towards international. tia! 

chickwithchopsticks
St. John, USVI

Re: intro and a question

• Options
    oh perhaps i should have been more specific in my intro - we are interested (at this stage) in infant adoption...i realize international adoption usually begins around 6-9months - is that still considered 'older child' adoption? i'm obviously very new at this! 
    chickwithchopsticks
    St. John, USVI
  • Options

Welcome!

We read a ton of books, but honestly, nothing was as helpful as going to a bunch of agency information sessions. It was great to get the rules/requirements of specific countries laid out for us and being able to ask questions. We ultimately went with domestic adoption, but it was great information to have.

Good luck!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Moved to Domestic Adoption 9/09 Matched 10/09 Sweet little Luke was born 12/9/09!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

welcome! I think the first poster was accidentally responding here but to a different question posted below :)

I have read a handful of books, but the only one that helped in the beginning stages was adoption for dummies. 

GOod luck!

Married on 3.20.2004. It took 30 month, 2 failed adoptions and IVF for our first miracle. We have had 9 foster kids since he was born and started the domestic adoption process when he was 10 month old, we had 4 failed matches in that time. After our daughter was born we brought her home and spent 2 weeks fearing we might lose her because of complications that came up. But Praise God all went through and she is ours forever! Expecting again after IVF Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers image
  • Options

International adoption is a rapidly changing landscape, so while there exist good books, they quickly become dated as rules and regulations change.

First, know that infants 6-9 months may be very difficult to come by internationally. Guatemala is closed, and children from Korea are generally closer to a year (if not 18 months) when they come home.

One book I liked was "How to Adopt Internationally" by the Erichsens. It was published in 2003, and the overarching issues are the same, but some of the details are much different.

Another popular book is "The Complete Book of International Adoption" by Dawn Davenport, who also has an excellen Web site.

Adoption.com has country-specific forums if you have pointed questions.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"