Military Families
Options

NBR: GI BILL

I just saw that this board exsist today and Im glad I found it. I have a question for you ladies already!

My DH got medically retired in Nov from the Navy and he now wants to use the 'new GI bill.'

Has anyone else used this or your DH? Were unsure how to get it all started and how long it takes to pay. As in, do we pay outta pocket for college and they reimburse us? We were gonna ask the VA for guidance but I thought id ask here also

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: NBR: GI BILL

• Options
    I'd definitely recommend calling the VA. I know you have to fill out a form online (takes about 30 minutes) and then they'll email you a confirmation and go from there. Good luck!
  • Options

I am in the Army Reserve...so I'm not sure how it works with the Navy, but I don't pay my tuition with the GI Bill (even though I will begin recieving it this term) I use the Army Tuition Assistance to pay tuition and will begin reciveing GI Bill Select Reserve monthly.

https://www.gibill.va.gov/ This is the site you need to find out all about the GI Bill. There are different types: GI Bill, Post 9-11 GI Bill, and the GI Bill for the Selecte Reserves (Reserves and National Guard). Go to the web site and see which one is right for your DH. He will have to fill out some forms to send in along with his DD-214. He also has to notify his school that he will be recieving the GI Bill because there are forms the school will need to submit as well.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Thank you both for the adivce and help! Im gonna go check out that website for him since he seems to be procrastinating!

EDIT. Thanks for the site :) Its the excatly where we needed to go!

• Options
    His school should also have someone that works directly with the VA on behalf of the military students (I work for a university and our person is in the Registrar's office). We found very quickly that she was A) more easily accessible (no 5 day wait times on the phone) and B) just as helpful, if not more so, in answering specigic questions.
  • Options

imagegtarmywife:
    His school should also have someone that works directly with the VA on behalf of the military students (I work for a university and our person is in the Registrar's office). We found very quickly that she was A) more easily accessible (no 5 day wait times on the phone) and B) just as helpful, if not more so, in answering specigic questions.

Thanks, were heading to the college today to get it all squared away!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"