Cloth Diapering
Options

Daycare doesn't like CD :(

I am having a VERY hard time finding a daycare that will accept the use of cloth diapers. Our baby hasn't done disposable because we prefer cloth, and both Mom and baby have SEVERE latex/skin allergies. I have been using all-in-ones, and I don't see what the big difference is from disposables. Has anyone out there had similar problems, and if so, what did you do???
Daisypath Anniversary tickers image image

Re: Daycare doesn't like CD :(

• Options

Take them and show them how they work. I wouldn't even bring it up until you get to the point of them talking about how/when to bring diapers/wipes etc. Then just let them know matter of factly and show them then.

I know a lot of them are hesitant to use them because they don't know about them, but honestly there is no reason for them to refuse business because of how you diaper your child. That would be like a daycare not being willing to use BM or formula, it is stupid. (Sorry that turned a little venty)

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers imageimage
  • Options
    Ditto pp, physically take in a pocket or AIO along with a wetbag and literally dumb it down for them by showing them how it is exactly like a disposable and instead of throwing it away in the garbage, they toss it in a wetbag you bring in from home everyday.  Also, I would cite that you have a medical reason to be cloth diapering.  It would be ridiculous for them to not agree to it after that. GL- let us know how it goes!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I work at a daycare and we are CD friendly!! :) I agree with pp, take them in and show them how easy they are, hopefully that will clear it right up. I can't believe you've had numerous places turn you down for that!

As a side point since you mentioned a latex allergy- day care providers are required to wear gloves when changing childrens' diapers, and I know we use disposable latex gloves. Just something to think about and mention to your chosen provider!

imageimage
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

DD born 4/25/11
    m/c 8/10/13 at 5.5 weeks
    missed m/c 4/15/14 at 11.5 weeks, D&C 4/17/14
    BFP 6/22/14, Scheduled c/s 2/23/15, It's a Girl!!  

• Options

Thanks ladies for all the quick responses!

I called the daycare manager back today,after feeling a little disgruntled about the issue. I set up an appointment togo back tomorrow with my all-in-one diaper to "demonstrate" its use. I found a copy of the Washington Code andRegulations for State Daycare, and the following seems to apply: (pardon thelength). Seems to me that cloth diapers are ok!

(f) Disposable diapers, a commercial diaper service, or reusable diaperssupplied by the child's family are used;

(g) Soiled diapers are placed without rinsing into a separate,cleanable, covered container provided with a waterproof liner beforetransporting to the laundry, parent, or acceptable disposal;

(h) Soiled diapers are removed from the facility daily or more oftenunless the licensee uses a commercial diaper service

Thank you for all the suggestions. I will let all of you know how itgoes! 

• Options

I hope your appointment goes well! And I hope you post an update!

Bring your easiest, most use-friendly diaper. :) I think most people who are very anti-cloth just don't understand how simple and easy to use modern day cloth diapers are. They usually have this vision of folding and pinning, and dunking and swishing. Pfft! 

• Options
    Right now I have a home daycare who is happy to CD but the larger daycare center I want to switch to wont. If I was in your situation I would explain the medical issue and get a doctors note if needed.  Hopefully they will go with your wishes. 
  • Options
    You definitely need to make sure they use non-latex gloves when changing your baby. Nitrile gloves are an alternative. Check with your pediatrician for what gloves are OK. You might have to provide gloves, they are available in boxes (many pairs) at surgical supply stores.
  • Options

This is my fear. I am hoping that by taking them and showing them how easy they are will take care of the issue. No difference between tossing in the garbage and tossing in the wet bag. We shall see.  : ( 

Good luck!! 

"What would you attempt to do if you knew you could not fail?" Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Well, it didn't go to well today. Although there were no "written" rules about cloth diapers at the daycare center, and no "codes or regulations" by the state, I was still told they wouldn't consider cloth diapers. I'm very bummed about this, as the center seemed great in all other areas (having a 1-to-3 ratio with infants) and is onsite of our apartment. I am in the process of looking for an alternative. I'm not giving up!!!!
  • Options

imagemattkati:
    Well, it didn't go to well today. Although there were no "written" rules about cloth diapers at the daycare center, and no "codes or regulations" by the state, I was still told they wouldn't consider cloth diapers. I'm very bummed about this, as the center seemed great in all other areas (having a 1-to-3 ratio with infants) and is onsite of our apartment. I am in the process of looking for an alternative. I'm not giving up!!!!

I love your determination. I am sure you'll find a daycare that will use them. Because your child has an allergy, I would try to get a note from your doctor. It might help. I would also stress that they are really no different than changing a disposable. They require no extra work by the daycare. Good-luck to you!

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options

imagemattkati:

That is super sucky.  Their loss.  I can't believe they would lose business over something as simple as an a-i-o diaper.  lamos.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"