Cloth Diapering
Options

Wool covers, tell me about them!

I don't know anything about them, what's the benefits? Do you do a wool cover, then the prefold and then the cover when trying to keep LO dry?

Re: Wool covers, tell me about them!

• Options

Benefits:

- Unlike PUL or fleece covers, wool can actually absorb liquid. So if you have a super soaker who floods his/her diaper, wool can soak up some of the excess, while PUL or fleece would leak.

- Wool is very breathable, so it's great for preventing or clearing up diaper rashes. PUL doesn't breath at all, and fleece is not as breathable as wool.

- The lanolin in wool (the stuff that makes it waterproof) also neutralizes urine, so it doesn't smell. You can go weeks without washing wool covers!

- Wool shorties/longies eliminate the need for a separate cover and shorts/pants over prefolds and fitteds. That reduces bulk and makes diaper changes a lot easier on squirmy babies.

- Wool is very green! It's made from a renewable resource (sheep!) and you can even recycle old sweaters into wool covers.

You put a wool cover directly over the prefold/fitted. In the case of shorties and longies, it's just the diaper and then the shorties/longies, no separate cover or shorts/pants.

Mommy to DD1 (June 2007), DS (January 2010), DD2 (July 2012), and The Next One (EDD 3/31/2015)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"