Stay at Home Moms
Options

social question re: kids

Anyone out there have a kid/kids who have adequate social skills & friends but often prefer independent play/alone time over play dates, classes, group activities?  And if so, what age?

ETA: This is not a question sparked by my experience with my child.   

Re: social question re: kids

• Options
    My 2nd one is a little lost w/o her sis....  she plays well at home alone, but is a little shy in groups - but Alex just started preschool, so Taylor is adjusting too!
  • Options

my son is just now starting to play with the other kids at the pool and at the playgroup we are in. I think its the age.

They play 'next to each other' first, but they know the other one is there and get annoyed when one grabs a toy from the other, etc or watches intently when the other starts doing something different. Later on then they start with the playing together ie: pushing cars back and forth, etc.

Its normal.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Yup, all 3 of my kids. They are 4.5, 3 and 20 months.
    image Mommy to Barbara 11/8/05, Elisabeth 5/13/07, Loukas 12/23/08 and Lazarus 09/25/12
  • Options
    Mine would probably fit that description. She's only 22 months, though, so even when she is playing with other kids, it's mostly parallel play anyway.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickerscharlatti's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    My oldest can play with just about anyone.  Older, younger, boy girl, any interests anyone has.... But he never goes looking for it.  I get calls on a regular basis, or just chatting with other mothers, they are telling me that their children are always asking to see so and so, and are always bugging to have a friend over.  When they say "so and so has been asking everyday to have Wyatt over"  I feel bad because Wyatt never asks to have anyone over.  He is content to do what ever is in front of him at the time.
            image image  image 
    To be loved, and to be in love
  • Options
    DS is like this. He loves playing with other kids and does well when we are at playgroup activities but he would rather stay at home and play by himself with his own toys. He is perfectly happy playing in his room with his cars, trucks, trains on his tracks or road rug. He is 3.5yr.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options

I think lots and lots of kids are like this.  Mostly because it isn't until their just about 3 that they can even "play" with each other in the traditional sense.  Before that it's a lot of parallel play. 

But to answer your question- Parker is like this.  I've never structured her play so maybe that is why?  

• Options
    That was me as a kid. I've always kind of preferred alone time vs. hanging out with lots of friends. I still have great social skills, but prefer to be alone.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"