Natural Birth
Options

Transfer please! (a sign in a Utah clinic)

Re: Transfer please! (a sign in a Utah clinic)

• Options
    WTF?  I can kind of see where they are coming from with the doulas, I'm sure they get in the way of how they want to do things (even if I dont agree with those ways) but they won't have a Bradley birth at their hospital?  That's just nuts.  They might as well put up a sign that says "You are not allowed to have a natural birth."
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I want to give them kudos for being upfront about it enough that people can knowing escape.  It seems like lots of hospitals have similar practices but are underhanded about it.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imageBostonGayGal:
    I want to give them kudos for being upfront about it enough that people can knowing escape.  It seems like lots of hospitals have similar practices but are underhanded about it.

I would agree with you on this point, however backaswards it may be.  

• Options
    Holy crap!!
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    imageOliveBaby:

imageBostonGayGal:

I would agree with you on this point, however backaswards it may be.  

I'd rather see it on my first appointment then find out at 36 weeks like I did with my doc this time around.

• Options

imageBostonGayGal:

I want to give them kudos too. I also want to give them the correct spelling of the word "doula." Wink

Mommy to DD1 (June 2007), DS (January 2010), DD2 (July 2012), and The Next One (EDD 3/31/2015)

• Options
    Surprise
    "Discovery consists of looking at the same thing as everyone else and thinking something different" ~Roger von Oech
  • Options
    Sigh. That is really sad. Would love to know their intervention and c-section rate.
  • Options
    They can't even spell doula right.  lol
  • Options
    imageflyer23:

imageBostonGayGal:

I want to give them kudos too. I also want to give them the correct spelling of the word "doula." Wink

Hahaha...just another reason to be concerned about going there!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image

• Options
    OMG. What else can I say?!  Surprise
  • Options
    my OB with my first pregnancy flat out told me that she does not support the Bradley Method b/c it "does not allow her to practice medicine the way she'd been trained" and told me that if I chose to study it anyway, I'd have to find a new provider. she didn't need to tell me twice. sad too, since she'd been my OB/Gyn for 15 years.
  • Options

I was reading something about this...

https://www.facebook.com/#!/notes/birth-sense/what-the-midwife-heard/144638852237628

I guess a lot of hospitals are implementing this kind of thing. I do think it's something that patients should be told ahead of time and not while they are in labor. Plus, it seems like a total violation of rights. YOU should be in control of your healthcare. Not your practitioner. They can say, "We think this is best..." But they can't MAKE you do anything you don't want to.

• Options
    Scary sign, especially the mis-spelled doula reference. I would RUN from a practice that posted anything like this on the wall.
  • Options
    imagemb1210:

I was reading something about this...

https://www.facebook.com/#!/notes/birth-sense/what-the-midwife-heard/144638852237628

I guess a lot of hospitals are implementing this kind of thing. I do think it's something that patients should be told ahead of time and not while they are in labor. Plus, it seems like a total violation of rights. YOU should be in control of your healthcare. Not your practitioner. They can say, "We think this is best..." But they can't MAKE you do anything you don't want to.

This makes me sick to my stomach.  Literally!

Lilypie - (vGZN)

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    BFP2: 10/27/13(edd 7/10/14) "Speck" ~ M/C 12/5/13
  • Options
    that's really sad.  I am doing a hospital birth and every doc in my OB practice, nurse, and hospital administrator I've told about my birth plans and doula are all geniunely excited for me and interested to see how it turns out (and this is a hospital with a 89% epi rate).  It makes me think that the hospitals with the closed policies are afraid of the natural birthing process chipping into their profits or something.
  • Options
    Well, at least they are up front.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• Options
    Whoa nellie.  Talk about being uber-close-minded!!  I can't believe that about the Bradley Method delivery....thats just crazy!
  • Options

Someone posted one of these a while back but I cant remember what the name of the post was or the name of the Dr or hospital. I googled it and this is almost the same thing verbatim from the first one and apparently this is becoming widespread which is sad really.

https://www.theunnecesarean.com/blog/2009/10/18/an-obs-birth-plan-obstetricians-disclosure-sent-one-mom-runn.html

BabyFruit Ticker image
  • Options
    That's insane.  This sign makes it sound like these things are going to compromise the health of you and your baby--when it's quite the opposite!
  • Options

Yeah, between the creative spelling of 'doula' and the misuse of apostrophe in 'patient's' I can't say I would consider them too big of a loss :P If you can't spell and/or use proper punctuation on a public sign, you are not catching my baby!

"Get your facts first. Then you can distort them as you please." ~ Mark Twain
  • Options

UGH. That makes me sick to my stomach, to see people who are supposed to be "care providers" saying "My way or the highway - oh and by the way, my way might possibly be full of interventions that you don't want."

I agree with mb2010 - definitely seems like a violation of patient's rights!!! Isn't the FIRST rule of patient care "do no harm?" In real terms, that should mean don't force a woman to do some procedure or some method of birth that is completely wrong for her... yucky.

• Options

That is sooo sooo sooo sad. Especially with the statistics of positive birth experiences and vaginal births that come when a woman has a doula. I can't remember what the numbers are but a woman has a better chance of a vaginal birth with just a doula in the room and barely doing a thing...but when the doula gets involved the chances for a successful vaginal birth increase even more. That sign might as well say we ecourage epidurals and Inductions and don't frown on c-sections either! please come in!

• Options

i'm wondering what clinic this is in?

the stg women health clinic is very wonderful about natural birth.... 

also, remember that utah has the lowest csection rate at just over 20. 

• Options

A similar picture was circulated on these boards (back before "the bump" when it was just the baby-related boards on "the nest") when I was pg with DD1. My OBs didn't have this policy, but the hospital where I had DD1 had a no doula policy. I wasn't planning to hire one anyway so it didn't bother me too much - I still had my natural childbirth there, though a lot of the nursing staff looked at me like I had 3 heads when they found out that's what I wanted.

Like a bunch of people said, at least they are upfront about it. I'd rather that than find out a month before EDD.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    "Because the physicians at Aspen's Women's Clinic care more about their golf game, their malpractice insurance, and the over-all ease of the OB experience, we regularly schedule inductions and c-sections to alleviate any problems with the natural progress of a woman's birth.  Please be ready choose the date of your baby's delivery at your first appointment."
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"