High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

Slow Rising hCG Levels

I had a 3 BFP's on 8/19, and one BFP on 8/20. Due to my calculations I was 8 weeks and 4 days on 8/19. My fiance and I only BD'd July 7th, and then I was out of the state for several weeks visiting family. Upon returning, we BD'd on 8/12 and 8/13. My most recent period was due to arrive 8/15. I therefore assumed, that there was absolutely NO WAY I could have gotten pregnant during the month of August. Which would have meant my LMP before then was 6/20, putting me at 8 weeks and 4 days when I had my first positive HPT.

I scheduled my first OB appointment on 8/23. She performed a pelvic exam, and transvaginal ultrasound. There my OB determined that there was absolutely no way that I was 9 weeks pregnant. She felt it was more like 4 or 5 weeks. She ordered a blood test to check my hCG levels as i have a history of one prior miscarriage. My hCG level on 8/23 was 1310, and I returned for a subsequent blood draw on 8/25 and my hCG level was 1722. My OB said that due to me having a uterine abnormality (bicornuate vs. subseptate) and history of one prior miscarriage that she is 99% sure that I will miscarry.

During the time of my first OB appointment, and the second appointment 3 days later, I had some bleeding, and mild cramping. Not enough to wear a pad, or require any ibuprofen or anything to manage the pain. I had spotting throughout the months of July and August, and AF which was 5 days late, those combined prompted me to take a test.

I am having several symptoms which include very sore breasts, dizziness, nausea, extreme fatigue, and frequent urination. These have all increased or manifested over the last couple of days. Has anyone else experienced a similar situation? My OB pretty much told me to just sit back and wait to lose my baby. She told me I could continue to take pregnancy tests until they become negative, and then I would know it was over. I feel so helpless in this waiting game. I have been all over the internet looking for more information on slow rising hCG levels and I have found lots of different websites that say that there is nothing written in stone about how the level should rise, and that there are so many variables with each pregnancy that it really is hard to calculate, and that an ultrasound is really the only way to know for sure. I feel like I'm at a disadvantage for that even, as I have the uterine abnormality. People keep telling me that the doctor just may not have been able to find the baby because of the shape of my uterus. My doctor said that after my miscarriage is finished I should have a Hysterosalpingogram to determine the exact shape of my uterus, and if that is what is causing me problems. Has anyone ever gone through that?

Sorry this is so long, but I just had a lot to get off of my chest. This has been a very frustrating and confusing situation. I am just really hoping to find some other people who are experiencing the same situation, or have gone through it already. Any positive outcomes from slow rising hCG? Right now that is the only thing that is really worrying me. Should I get a second opinion? Thank you so much for reading this, and for any advice you may give!!

Re: Slow Rising hCG Levels

• Options
    Did she say anything was in your uterus when they did the ultrasound?  I believe on betabase it says something like 20% of slow rising betas may be viable or something to that effect.  Unfortunately, 80% of them are not.  It could be ectopic or an early miscarriage.  I wish your OB would give you some more information other than the HCG test.  I do think you need a second opinion because if this isn't viable, they need to figure out what's going on.  I'm so sorry you're going through this.  I hope you can find some answers perhaps from another practictioner. 
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • Options
    Just be careful that it is not ectopic - those sympotoms  - the slow rising hCG and the spotting and pain are all symptoms - I had an ectopic and had the same symptoms and they saw nothing on the US, not in my tubes either because they can't see that on US. I wound up having emergency surgery to remove the tube.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

In my bag: Nikon D90; 35mm 1.8, 90mm 2.8 macro (my fave), Lensbaby Composer with macro extensions. BFP after 13 cycles and one ectopic. Lost left tube 5/19/10.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"