Health & Exercise
Options

coworkers giving hard time about running...

So my coworker/boss' wife is 2-3 weeks ahead of me and went into premature labor two days ago.  The stopped it and she is doing ok.  BUT now my coworkers are lecturing me about still running and working as much as I am .  My doctor is fine with it.  Any risk that jogging could cause problems? 
I was married June 16, 2007 Pregnancy Ticker

Re: coworkers giving hard time about running...

• Options
    You should be fine.  I stopped running at 25 weeks because I was getting braxton hicks, but was still hiking 5 miles at a time well into my third tri.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Nope, as long as your dr says its ok and you feel good, keep it up!  I had to stop running btw weeks 35-37 b/c I started to dilate & my dr didn't want me going preterm.  Once I hit 37 wks, I was able to start back up and keep going until the day before my water broke at 39wk5d.

I had a super easy L&D and have been back running since 3wk PP. 

Listen to your dr & your body, not crazy coworkers!!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    If you aren't high risk, you should be fine. I was found to have a shorter-than-ideal cervix and even MY doctor told me to keep doing everything I'm doing until my follow up U/S in a month. I don't run but I do work out. He'll tell me if I need to stop doing anything, as will your doctor.
  • Options
    I would go by how YOU feel and not advice from coworkers.  Everyone is different and you have probably already found that people love giving their unsolicited advice when you're pregnant.  If you're feeling well and you're dr says he's ok with it, then I would continue!
  • Options

Agree with all PP's. Listen to your health care provider and your body.

No two pregnancies are alike. 

If you have been running before and feel comfortable doing it now, then go for it. I ran 3-4 miles several days a week until 34 weeks, then ran / walked intervals until the day before I was admitted. I am POSITIVE that that is the reason why I bounced back so quickly. 

Good luck! 

(And if they have any doubts, show them the ACOG / ACSM information on pregnancy and exercise!)

• Options
    I agree with PP. If your physician gave you the ok, then keep going. Just listen to your body.  I have found that the only people who keep telling me that I need to tone down my workouts are those that have either  A). never even been pregnant or B.) never workout themselves. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options

My coworkers have given me the same "advice" on more than one occasion. In fact, I've stopped mentioning anything about running just to avoid the comments. I think the difference is they are not runners, so to them running at all is an abnormal activity, much less running while pregnant. For me, running has been a part of my daily routine for 15 years, so it's not unusual at all that I am still running while pregnant.

As long as you are listening to your body and your doctor, and not doing anything crazy like pushing yourself until you're exhausted or doing some really intensive training program, running can be good for both you and your baby!

• Options

Same as everybody else - listen to your dr and your body.

I ran a full marathon at 25 weeks and continued running until the day I gave birth, with no issues. I had the easiest labor and delivery and a perfectly healthy baby girl. Good luck!

• Options

So you're co-workers think you should listen to them over your doctor, who said what you were doing is fine???  If they are bothered by it so much then don't tell them and don't listen to them.  Don't doubt yourself because other people are paranoid. I've heard people running marathons while pregnant!  As long as you are listening to your body and not pushing yourself then I think you're fine!  Be healthy and happy.  You can't spend all your time worrying about everything bad that will happen.  (And good for you by the way!  keep it up!)

• Options

Thanks everyone!  I think people think I am obsessing over weight and I am not.  I have put over 25 pounds on so I am not burning too many calories for sure!!!  If I wasn't putting enough weight on then I might agree with the co workers. 

I was married June 16, 2007 Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

I agree that your co-workers should mind their own beeswax!

Running is safe and very healthy for pregnant woman.  I ran throughout my twin pregnancy, and had a complication-free, low-weight gaining, quick recovery pregnancy. 

I'm running a half marathon 11 weeks after a c/s, and I ran a 5K at 28 weeks.  Here, show your co-workers this picture.  That'll get them off your back! https://crosscountrysquared.blogspot.com/2010/05/cb-5k-race-report.html 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"