Special Needs
Options

Granulation tissue?

Does any one have any experience with granulation tissue?  My son is about to have surgury to remove a huge piece of tissue that is currently blocking his airway.  A few days ago he had a little removed with silver nitrate (I think thats what it is called) around his gtube and its already back.. I am just wondering if that is common or if the way it is removed has any effect on if it comes back or not.  My son is scheduled for decannulation after the tissue is removed and now I'm afraid it will come back.  Any thoughts would be helpful.

Re: Granulation tissue?

• Options
    I'm sorry I don't have any knowledge of this (did the dr say it was normal for the tissue that was removed to have grown back?), but I had to post to say your son looks angelic!
  • Options
    We are always fighting granulation tissue around Grant's stoma.  It does come back after silver nitrate for us. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

My son had a bronchoscopy while still in the hospital and vented and they thought there was granuloma tissue from the breathing tube. They were going to laser it off if they found some. They actually did not find any, but I think surgery to laser granuloma or granulation tissue blocking airways is normal. From what the docs said, it should not come back if surgery is done to remove it...especially if your son is scheduled for decannulation. 

As for the g-tube, my son has been pretty lucky not to have much granulation tissue at all and he is 100% GJ-tube fed. We use reusable cloth pieces from MyButtonBuddies.com, which helps with redness, leakage, and the granulation tissue. You might want to check them out. They have really cute designs and they are washable.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Your son is beautiful!

My son also has a trach and a g-tube and he has had trouble with some granuloma in his airway but not enough to make the ENT want to remove it.  What we have found is that, in Drake's case, over time, it ends up breaking on it's own and going away.  From what I understand, granuloma is caused by the tube rubbing against the soft tissue.  After your son is decannulated (yay for you!!)  it shouldn't come back. 

As for the g-tube, we have been lucky enough to not have to deal with granuloma but some kids are just more prone to it.  I know people that have had to use silver nitrate several times and it just keeps coming back.  I hope this doesn't keep happening to your little guy!

Good luck!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"