Hawaii Babies

public (bus) transport with baby?

DH recently took a new job (actually he was just lured back to his old job) in a neighboring town (about 30mi away).  I use to always catch the express bus to meet up with him for dinner or something.  Last night I met up with him but I was scared to travel with Jack so we ended up with 2 cars up there.  I can't get over the safety issue.  I would probably have less of an issue if it was a city bus, but the majority of the route is on the highway.

All internet resources talk about how to make bus travel easy (fold stroller, use carrier, etc) and the local bus service website doesn't say anything, other than the fact he would be free until age 6.

what do you think?

Re: public (bus) transport with baby?

• I haven't been keeping up with this blog lately, but there's a blogger for the PI that talks just about busing (in seattle) - and now has 2 kids.  I remember when she had her first there were quite a few posts about busing with a baby.  You might want to try scrolling back through these archives?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I think Tina uses public transport, if I'm remembering correctly - she might be able to give some insight. Smile
  • Loading the player...
  • i can't speak from experience, but i think i'd be hesitant b/c there isn't adequate safety/restraint in the event of an accident.  true, the odds of the bus getting into an accident are really really slim...but they're higher than a plane crash and i'm not sure i would want to risk it.  if you had no other means of transportation it would be one thing....and i'm all for being green and helping the environment when possible, but i'd probably just err on the side of caution and put Jack in the car, in a carseat.  just my 2 cents :)
  • I'm just a lurker, but thought I'd add my 2 cents...  We take E on public transportation every day.  It's usually a train, but has also been a bus a few times.  Our work and E's daycare are both right off the train line, so every day DH takes him on the city train to and from daycare.  We put him in a carrier to have hands free.  The chances of a bus accident are much lower than a car accident.  

• thanks for the advice.  Sandra, I remember reading that column every once in a while.

jaime - I am hesitant b/c of safety reasons. 

Ireland05 - thanks for chiming in.  I agree, bus accidents are really rare, and I can't help but think if it were to get in an accident it wouldn't be that bad because the bus usually isn't going very fast, especially in the city.  The bus route I would be going on is primarily on the highway, but during rush hour it isn't moving all that fast - it's just hard to get use to the idea of traveling with a LO not in a carseat since that is sooooooo ingrained in my thought process.

If we lived in a larger metro area, like I have in the past, I probably would not even be thinking twice about it.

I may try it out, still not sure.  It is just sooooo nice to go up there on the bus on not have to worry about having 2 cars to come home in because we often just meet at his office and then drive somewhere else.  Also I bet there will be times he goes in on the weekend and Jack and I could go up there a little later and check out the zoo or something but not want to ride with him early or for the full day.

• that would be hard for me too - I just can't fathom not having him in a carseat while traveling with him.  I see people waiting for the bus with little kids/infants, and sometimes they just have them in an Ergo-type thing, or nothing at all.  It's just not something DH or I are comfortable with, and we've discussed it since he (still) doesn't drive. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"