School-Aged Children

AW about school lunch! I'm impressed!

I just got the school lunch menu (school doesnt start for a few weeks here) and was prepared to throw it out and not even bother with it as an option because, traditionally, school lunches just seemed unhealthy. I was very pleasantly surprised! Most of the menu options are very healthy, include produce that is locally grown, and actually sound appealing (to both kids and parents). Some options are "Cheese or Veggie Pizza v on Whole Grain Crust/ Fresh Steamed Green Beans/ Apple Wedges/ Black Bean Salad/  Salad Greens" and "Roasted Chicken Drumstick/ Mashed Potatoes & Gravy /Fresh Steamed Broccoli /Peaches /Hard-boiled Eggs/ Fresh Veggies/ Salad Greens"

I guess we'll be doing school lunch once or twice a week after all!

Re: AW about school lunch! I'm impressed!

• That is awesome!  I wish our school had such choices!  Ours, unfortunately is more similar to the school on Jaime Oliver's Food Revolution :( which is why I pack DD's lunch every day.

• DD's school menu last week was horrible. They had no choices and it was expensive ($3.50) for the crap that they served (fried chicken nuggets, an applesauce cup, goldfish crackers).

This year I was pleasantly surprised to see they've outsourced their cafeteria/nutrition program to Sodexho. There are now choices that are ALL appealing to me (wraps instead of sandwiches, whole-grain breads/buns/bagels when served, etc.) and they have an all-you-can-eat salad bar as well with fresh fruits and veggies. Thankfully, the price stayed the same, too! We'll still only buy a few times a week but that's more because of the cost than anything else.

Mom to J (10), L (4), and baby #3 arriving in July of 2015
  • Loading the player...
  • I haven't seen the menu yet for my DD's school. I have been coming up with ideas for what to pack her.
    Mommy to Catherine 5/19/2005 & Ryan 8/22/2009 My Blog
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"