School-Aged Children
Options

Possible Bus Issue

DD started K a few weeks ago and is loving it.  She has always loved school buses and was SO excited to start riding it.  We live very close to the school and there are only 2 stops after she is picked up so she only rides for about 10 minutes or so.  I pick her up in the afternoon because buses don't bring home 1/2 day K.

Anyhow, on the very first day a little boy touched/petted/pulled her hair.  Not exactly sure which but dd was upset and said she told him to stop and he would not.  Now she likes to wear her hair up most days, even though this particular little boy has not bothered her again.

She had some bus anxiety after this but we told her we were going to try some more and to not sit next to hair boy.  That seemed to work.

Now today she tells me that there is a little boy who did *insert hand gesture* to her.  She lifted her fourth finger to show me.  Not sure if little boy actually did fourth finger or middle finger.  She also said he was calling her names but she didn't know what they were/meant. 

I'll admit my dd is a bit sheltered.  She's gone to a christian pre-school and has been fortunate enough to always be surrounded by a good group of children.  She really has no experience with rougher types.

So my question is, what do we do?  I told her to tell me if anything else happens or to tell the busdriver/teacher.  She isn't very forthcoming with the info though.  I think it's good for her to ride the bus for independence but taking her would not really be a problem if necessary.  I just hate to "give up" and find it incredibly sad that a few bad seeds are ruining this experience for her.

Is this just normal bus stuff?  Or should I be concerned?  I obviously don't like the idea of name calling/uninvited touching/hand getures/etc...

Advice?

Thanks!

Re: Possible Bus Issue

• Options
    Who is in charge of the bus pick up and drop off? Is it the school or the district? While that is definately innappropriate of that little boy, I would wait to see if this continues. If it does, definately talk to the principal about it and then go from there. Does she have any friends that ride the bus as well? If so, can they team up together and sit together and try to avoid this person? 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imageSammysu:
    Who is in charge of the bus pick up and drop off? Is it the school or the district? While that is definately innappropriate of that little boy, I would wait to see if this continues. If it does, definately talk to the principal about it and then go from there. Does she have any friends that ride the bus as well? If so, can they team up together and sit together and try to avoid this person? 

There is a little girl in her class on the bus and I think she tries to sit with her but the bus is crowded by the time she gets on so I don't think there are many options.  It's hard to because she's kind of oblivious to who is who.  Like if I say "is the boy older?"  She has no idea.

I guess I would call the school if necessary.  It's kind of weird because I only even know her busdriver's name because another driver told me.  Otherwise we were just given her bus number.  Not a very personal process.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I would speak to the bus driver and see if she can have her sit in the front seat.   
  • Options

If it were me, I would just drive her.  I think there is too wide of an age gap, 5 year olds with 12 year olds and if there is only one adult on the bus, who is focused on driving, there is not a lot of supervision. 

• Options
    If the bus does have all ages on it, then I would just drive her there, I dont think that 12 year olds and kindergarten should be sharing the bus. But thats my opinion. If she really does want to do the bus thing and she is doing ok with it then talk to the driver and the principal and see what can be done. If this boy is acting that way to her, I am sure he is doing it to others.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Her school only goes to 4th grade so those kids would be about 10ish?  The older kids are supposed to sit in the back and younger in front but the front is always very crowded from front to middle.  DD still sits up there in the first few seats but I think it would be best if the older kids were in the very back. 

• Options
    In my district, kindergartners have to sit in the first couple of seats and seats are assigned. Even if the bus is crowded each student knows where he/she will sit. If your school does not have this policy, I would talk with the bus driver and request that she sit in the first seat or two and even suggest assigned seats. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"