Potty Training
Options

It's WAY too early... right?

I am a preschool teacher at the daycare my daughter goes to. So I know her teachers and everyone there well, ad see them all day every day. The other day, her teacher mentioned that she had peed when after she had changed her but before she got a new diaper on her. She used to do that as a newborn(of course) but hasn't since she was like two months old or so. She mentioned to me that in her experience, when kids start doing that, it's usually a sign that they are ready(or at least getting ready) to potty train. I mentioned that she wakes up dry most mornings, as long as I get her up before she wakes up(if she sits in her crib and plays while I'm still asleep she pees, but I work early, so I wake her up three mornings a week and she is usually dry then). Her teacher told me that her son was potty trained at 14 months because he showed the same "signs" that Basil is. She is convinced I could potty train her right now if I wanted...

I've never actually put her on a potty, mostly because I'm afraid of her falling in(we don't have a potty seat or anything, just our toilet)... But should I try and see what happens? She is very interested in DH and I peeing(we have a baby gate up on the bathroom door so she cant get to the litterbox, and dont bother closing the door when no one else is home), so maybe she might be able to understand?

I'm not used to kids her age, and knowing what they are and are not capable of understanding. She is still my baby, so the thought of her being a big kid(potty training, talking like a kid not just a few words, etc) is so foreign to me.

What should I do? If I try to potty train her(gently, I definitely wont force anything), how should I go about it? Or is it, like I originally thought crazy to try and potty train a 13 month old?

I need help here.... Haha!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersDaisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: It's WAY too early... right?

• Options
    Like any development, its not age its readiness.  DS started to tell us when he had to pee & poop at 14 months (before this he had a huge intersted in the potty and wanted to be like us)- like you we thought that's way too early, we'll wait, not to mention, I was pregnant at the time.  So when I had the baby, we PT DS at 17 months and he picked it up in days- very easy.  So my suggestion would be get a potty ring and go for it.  Don't go by her age, go by her development and developmently she's probably ready.
  • Options
    You could look into elimination communication. (check out diaperfreebaby) We started when DD was 14 months. She fought me tooth and nail for diaper changes and so I just got a potty ring for the toilet and put her on there. She went right away. She was poop trained at 16 months and would tell me she needed to go by simply walking into the bathroom. She wasn't fully potty trained until 25 months but it was nice not having to change poopy diapers anymore.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic image
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"