D.C. Area Babies
Options

WTF? Why isn't my child sleeping?

She took an hour nap in the morning and no afternoon nap at all. She was super fussy, so I gave her some motrin, thinking it's teething. This girl should be passed out. What the heck?

Re: WTF? Why isn't my child sleeping?

• Options
    That was around the age where my DD dropped down to 1 nap a day.  She also dropped all her naps at 23 months. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • Options

My DS was like pp's DD and started dropping one nap at about that age.  I had thought he'd be a two nap guy for a long time because he'd taken three naps up until about nine months... but that's not how it went.  He just suddenly went to one nap just before his first birthday. 

Don't be surprised if it takes a while for the shift to one nap to be fully complete.  At first, DS would take his one nap in the morning and then would be super tired at the end of the day.  Over a couple of months, I slowly pushed his one nap later, so now he makes it until around 12:00 or 12:30 most days.  Then, he usually sleeps for about two hours.

For the most part, one nap has actually ended up being better than two naps.  Now that his nap is after lunch, we have a good block of time in the morning to do things like Music Together classes and a playgroup.  Also, for the parents, one longer block of free time can be nicer than two short ones. 

Of course, today could just be a fluke for you, and your DD could take two naps for several more months.  Hope tomorrow is better!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options

She's teething and possibly getting over stomach bug, so I'm attributing it to that.

I will say we are eagerly awaiting the day she drops to one nap because limiting activities to two hours is so hard!

ETA: She finally fell asleep around 8:15 (she's usually asleep by 7:30 at the absolute latest, even on a good nap day!). Teething sucks.

• Options

Good luck the rest of the night!

• Options

Yes, teething sucks. I'm sorry. 

I think you can encourage your LO to move to one nap.  Try moving the morning nap later and later by 15-30 minute increments.  DD was on one nap by then as well.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"