Birth Stories
Options

Grace's Birth Story

My due date was April 13th and I couldn?t wait for it to get here. I was uncomfortable and very crabby. The only bad thing was my dr was out for vacation till the 12th so I was hoping to hang on till then (well sort of)

The morning of the 11th I had woke up with what I was thinking was contractions. Could this be it. I sat on the couch timing my contractions they were about 5 mins apart. So I decided to climb back in bed with my husband. I stayed in bed till about 7 in the morning. I went to the bathroom and there was blood. I know knew this was it. I went in and woke my husband up and asked him if he thought today was a good day to have the baby? He was a little upset that I hadn?t woke him up during the contractions. I decided I would call the Drs office and see what I should do. The dr on call said to wait till they were 3 mins apart. I asked since we were an hour drive if we should wait and she said come on in.

We got to the hospital about 9 and was sent to triage to be monitored. We sat in there for a while and the nurse checked and I was dilated to 3. I have to say the exam was painful but Boy was I happy. My contractions were about 3 mins apart on the ride but now were back to about 5 mins. I wasn?t in to much pain and the contractions weren?t to bad. Eventually the on call dr came in. She asked how I was feeling and I said fine. She kind of laughed at me. I was happy and ready to go. She said that I was going to have my baby today. WOOHOO

I was giving my room , soon after the doctor came in and said that they were going to break my water and start me on pitocin. The nurse and dr said that my contractions would become a lot more intense. When they broke my water the little one had pooed at one time. So the dr said that when she was born she didn?t want her to cry right away and that she would take care of it

. My mom and sister showed up shortly after and talked to my husband and I. At about 1 I was dialted to between 4 and 5. I couldn?t take the pain anymore. It was the intense kind of pain that makes you squish your toes up. I asked for the epidural. Everyone had to leave the room. The nurse commented on how well I was doing with the contractions. It seemed like forever for the epidural people to come in my room, I just could wait for some relief. I was giving the epidural and felt relief soon after. It didn?t hurt the worst part was when they washed my back that was cold and made me jump. After the epidural we just watched some tv and talked to everyone. My husbands mother and grandmother was there.

The dr came in when I was dialated to 7 and said that she would be back later she was running home for a little bit. I must of looked worried because she assured me she would be back and only lived 5 mins away. Soon we started taking bets on when our little Grace would be born. I was hoping soon. Time ticked by and I kept diating but nothing to great. At 7 that night still no baby and now it was nurse change. I guess I didn?t matter tho : ). The new nurse I had was really friendly and I was glad I knew soon it would be time.

I had to wait till I was completely dialted to 10 before the pushing would start. This happened at about 8. The nurse asked if I was ready to do this. I was scared now. Everyone left the room except my husband, myself, and the nurse. The nurse informed me that once I started pushing and the baby got a little lower I would start to feel it. Oh great now you tell me. We did some practice pushes. She would take 3 steps forward and then 2 steps back but the nurse said it was fine I was doing great. After about ? she went and got the dr. The dr came in and said are we ready to go. The nurse had warned me that this dr gets very excited and kind of loud, That she wasn?t yelling at me. This was nice to know since it wasn?t my normal dr. The pushing was a little harder then I expected and I could feel everything. My cousin had told me the day before to push threw the burn. I had wondered what this meant but I understood what she meant. Another nurse came in and each nurse took a foot. My husband stood my side and said I could do it. I said i couldnt but everyone assured me I could.

I pushed for another ? for a total of an hr of pushing and had my wonderful little girl at 9:05 pm. She weighed 9lbs 4 oz and was 21 ? inches long. She didn?t cry right away because of the maconium but the dr took care of it and got her all suctioned out. She cried and they placed her on my belly and I cried. I looked up at my husband who was standing by me holding my arm and he had tears in his eyes.

It was a great experience and I couldn?t imagine it any other way. The hospital was great. The epidural was great :) no half numb I could still feel my feet my legs were just heavy. My husband was great he feed me ice chips and stood there and let me pull on his shirt. And our baby girl was perfect.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"