Canada Babies
Options

any preggo paramedics out there???

Hey ladies! I have a question for any fellow pregnant medics out there. I'm considering taking sick leave (EI) before my mat leave kicks in because of all the lifting we do. But a lot of my coworkers seem to think its too soon. I know that its ultimately my choice and that i know my body better than they do but i'd really like another medics opinion. am i taking off too soon? i'll be 26 weeks after all my banked sick time is burned.

Re: any preggo paramedics out there???

• Options

I'm a paramedic BC. It was a tough decision for me too. I went off work at 23 weeks 4 days. I tried to get my employer to give me a duty to accomodate in our dispatch center since I'm dual trained but it was a no go. The belly just started to get in the way when lifting the stretcher and I couldn't do a lift from the floor (like if the pt was on the clam). Just couldn't get down that far and back up again! I didn't really want to go off work that early but I must say that's it's been wonderful since. Good luck with deciding!

• Options
    Thanks for the reply! I went off work a few weeks after i made that post and i couldnt be happier! My last rotation i started having pain in my belly and that was my deciding factor. It wasnt anything severe but i didnt want to hurt myself any worse. Hope your pregnancy is going well!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I started getting pretty bad aches and pains after involved calls (CPR and such). It would go away fairly quick after the call was over but I figured better safe than sorry! Glad to see you're enjoying the decision too. The peace of mind is well worth going off earlier than I was thinking. Hope things are going well for you. Less than 8 weeks left for me and looking forward to having the little one out. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"