Potty Training

Should I just back off?

So we have been doing some pretty relaxed PT for the last 12 days or so.  I usually get one or two deposits in the toilet per day, but nothing since Monday.  He refuses to try now and starts to cry when I take him in the bathroom.  The ticker chart had been going really well and he was excited and proud when he went in the toilet.  With two days of nothing, I have up'ed the anti and bought "potty prizes" ( 3 stickers = prize).  Granted I have not put a ton of effort into it, but I have read that it really shouldn't be that hard.  Should I just put it to rest for a while?

Re: Should I just back off?

• I just answered the post above, but my son is afraid of the potty now too.  It is really frustrating b/c he KNOWS when he is going but he is too afraid of the potty, no matter what I offer, m&ms, stickers, praise, prizes.....

I bought him a doll that drinks and wets on any potty to demonstrate and he loves it, but he still won't try the potty himself.  I have dropped it for now and am going to let him do it in his own time, but I keep the conversation alive about it....I change him only in the bathroom at home and still read books about it, I just won't ask him if he has to use the potty at all.  He will come around, eventually! 

• Thanks for the response.  I like the idea of the doll, and yeah, nothing can motivate him to sit on the toilet now, so I have stopped trying.  Like you, I keep the conversation alive by doing things like announcing when I have to go.  Only changing him in the bathroom at home is a good idea too.  Good luck!
  • Loading the player...
  • Give him a little time. I'm sure he'll come around.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"