Health & Exercise

Runners pls come in.. (LONG)

A little history: I used to run about 10 miles at a 9 to 10 min/mile pace but I got there by cross training for a triathlon. At that time I was carrying a good 20 extra pounds. I basically quit running a few years ago and then picked it back up when just before I got my BFP. I started spotting and my OB insisted I quit. I started up again when my baby was 5 weeks old. I was doing great - then I tweaked my knee. I haven't run since Maddie was about 4 or 5 months old. I am now at least 50 pounds overweight and am giving it another try. I am back up to 3 miles, but at a gruelingly slow pace. I have been running on a track for added squishy-ness for the sake of my knees.

I am looking for advice on how to continue my training. I added speed training onto my workouts and am just doing 100's as fast as I can, then I walk the track and repeat. I do about 6 to 8 of them.

Currently I am running every other day. I was thinking of continuing the speed training, adding a tempo run (I am not sure how long/what pace), then a slow (i.e. normal) 3 miler and possibly a slightly longer run.

I would really like to be able to get at least back to where I was. Does the training schedule above look reasonable, but like it will get results? Is this enough, but not too much rest? Any advice is appreciated.

TIA

ETA*  The 3 miles is a steady slow run, with no stopping. I used the C25K to build. the only modification I made was that I didn't use "weeks" as much we just ran "every other day", so we built a littler quicker.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Runners pls come in.. (LONG)

• Your plan looks okay to me. If  it's too much on your knees, maybe drop speedwork and opt to slowly increase your base mileage instead.

Also, adding strength training to your routine may help as well.

GL! 

• imagekirkette:

Your plan looks okay to me. If  it's too much on your knees, maybe drop speedwork and opt to slowly increase your base mileage instead.

GL! 

I agree with this.  I think doing speedwork too early might be a little hard on your body. I would work on getting a good solid base first.  I had a nasty injury from doing too much speedwork without a sufficient base.  Good luck!

• Loading the player...
  • Consider running the opposite direction arouond the track as well, so you don't get used to making only left hand turns.  Also do some intervals - run for a few minutes and walk for 2 minutes do this for a longer period of time to increase endurance. 

There are a bunch of great resources online with runnersworld.com that may be helpful.  They have really great training advice, great articles to read, and some free programs.

Due June 10, 2014

imageimage

• I agree with the other posters. Definitely drop the speed work. Unless you are training for a race, there is really no reason for speed work at this point, and it's going to be much harder on your knees. As far as surfaces go, are there any soft surface trails in your area that you can run on? We have some parks here with bark trails that are great for sore joints.

I would concentrate strictly on building up the length of your existing runs, no matter how slow you run (go by minutes not by miles). You might try mixing in walking to help in the short term (say 10 min of running, 2 min of walking). Then just slowly cut out the walking until you are running continuously.

Once you can build up to about 45 min of running every other day, start adding in two consecutive days into your week, with the second run being a very easy jog (maybe like 25 min). That will help you ramp up in a way that won't get your burnt out or injured. I also agree with the other poster that mentioned looking on Runner's World. They have some good programs you could follow there.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• imageEllaSmella:

Once you can build up to about 45 min of running every other day, start adding in two consecutive days into your week, with the second run being a very easy jog (maybe like 25 min). That will help you ramp up in a way that won't get your burnt out or injured. I also agree with the other poster that mentioned looking on Runner's World. They have some good programs you could follow there.

We are clost to this point. I think our pace is about 12 - 13 min/miles. At least it was on the ones that I timed. So we are running for 36 - 40 minutes. When it's super hot, it may even be a little slower.

I have several hard packed dirt and grass paths that I like, however my running partner cannot run on really uneven surfaces due to an old injury. I can add a shorter run in there by myself. I wasn't sure when it was OK to add consecutive days, so that is really good info - thanks!

• Thank you, Ladies!!! This is exactly the information I needed. It sounds like I definately need to cut the speed word. It's a shame because I really enjoyed it - but oh well, it's certainly better to wait and avoid injury.

I'll definately check out Runner's World. Thanks!

• imagefirsttimeaunt:

Consider running the opposite direction arouond the track as well, so you don't get used to making only left hand turns.  Also do some intervals - run for a few minutes and walk for 2 minutes do this for a longer period of time to increase endurance. 

There are a bunch of great resources online with runnersworld.com that may be helpful.  They have really great training advice, great articles to read, and some free programs.

Thanks. I was kind of wondering about the left turns also. :o)

• ditto pps.

I'll add that speed work often makes me extra hungry which could interfere with weight loss effort. and, like others say, there's no good reason to add the extra stress to your body if you're not training for a specific race.

I know it's hard when you're so far from what you used to do!  I have been there!!!  But keep at it and you'll get there. I just set a new 5k personal best and a year ago I never thought that would be possible.

GL!!

• Totally not related to training, but keep yourself motivated by joining up with other runners or moms. Visit your local running store and ask them about group runs. Post a sign asking to meet other running moms. Find a club through rrca.org.

Good luck!!!

• You might also want to take up circuit work.  That way your knee does get a break and you are working more muscles.  I use it to help with conditioning.  I usually do 10 to 15 minutes on the bike, then 10 to 15 on the ellipitcal and then run or row for 10 to 15 minutes.  Do this at a medium to medium high intensity for you. You can do the set once or twice.  But it makes you use different muscles each time which really helps with results with your body and also with your running time.  Doing the same thing everyday makes your body stop responding. 

Good luck!

• imagekirkette:

Your plan looks okay to me. If  it's too much on your knees, maybe drop speedwork and opt to slowly increase your base mileage instead.

GL! 

This. Yes GL!

• My advice is to drop the speed work, just like most pps said, and replace with elliptical work.  When I have trained for my half and full marathons, I have found it very strengthening to do elliptical work on my XT days.  This strengthens your legs while keeping them in a low-impact workout.  I will also say that the elliptical kicked my A** at first, but once I set my mind to it, it was great.  You will probably need to go at least 25-30 (with a resistance or incline of more than 1 or 2) on the days you don't run.  Also very important...TAKE A COUPLE DAYS OFF during your week.  You don't want to end up injured and back at square one again!

Good luck with it all! 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"