North Dakota Babies
Options

barcelona: who's been? Carollyn?

hey, ladies!

it was just decided last week that i'll be going to BARCELONA, SPAIN for my 30th birthday (insert panic here - holy moly, i'm going to be 30)!!

My parents are going on a food & wine cruise, leaving from Athens, going to several cities in Greece, Turkey, Italy, and ending in Barcelona. I'll be flying to Spain on May 16 and arriving on the 17th in time for my bday on the 18th.

I've only been to France, Italy and Monaco in Europe, so I'd love to hear all about Barcelona from anyone who has visited. Thanks!

Re: barcelona: who's been? Carollyn?

• Options

OMG that's so much fun, what a great B-day present! Barcelona is great! Some of the things I've visited while we were there:

- Park Guell (designed by Gaudi)
    - The Ramblas (yummy tapas! and terrific street theatre)
    - Sagrada Familia (the unfinished church, with spectacular views if you are fearless and decide to climb it!)
    - Casa Mila and Casa Batllo (both designed by Gaudi)
    - Barrio Gothico ("Gothic" Quarter, part of Barcelona with loads of Medieval buildings)
    - Placa de Catalunya
    - the Aquarium of Barcelona

If you have the time...we have also visited the Montserrat Monastery. Its not in Barcelona, but quite nearby on a mountain. The lower cable cars going up the mountain can be reached by a train departing from Barcelona's Pla?a d'Espanya station.

• Options

I loved Barcelona. It's such a cool city.

We stayed at Hotel Jazz and I liked it 'cause it was near las Ramblas & Plaza Cataluna (although the bed could have used to be softer), plus it was pretty cheap and it had had good reviews on tripadvisor.

As for sight seeing we did the 2 day hop on hop off, which is pretty cool 'cause you get to see all the sights. Definitely go to La Sagrada Familia...it is amazingly breathtaking. I really like Parc Guell also. Take some time to walk Las Ramblas and maybe go to El Mercado de la Boqueria...just mind your purse or carry you things in your pockets....we didn't have any problems, but better safe than sorry, right?

image   image
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Sounds like such a blast, Samantha!  I'm jealous!

I think the gals pretty much covered the basics.  I would be sure to take the scenic ride that takes you up in the air (kinda like a ski lift) that Hanneke was talking about- that was my favorite part of Barcelona.  (I can't remember the name of that thing for the life of me!)

• Options
    imagetrevess:

I would be sure to take the scenic ride that takes you up in the air (kinda like a ski lift) that Hanneke was talking about- that was my favorite part of Barcelona.  (I can't remember the name of that thing for the life of me!)

Montjuic?

image   image
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    you guys ROCK. thanks so much. i obviously have some reading to do before i go. i'm pretty pumped about all the gaudi elements and the picasso museum they have there since i was an art major. i reallllllly appreciate the suggestions!
  • Options
    imageMrs.N.H.:

We stayed at Hotel Jazz and I liked it 'cause it was near las Ramblas & Plaza Cataluna (although the bed could have used to be softer), plus it was pretty cheap and it had had good reviews on tripadvisor.

As for sight seeing we did the 2 day hop on hop off, which is pretty cool 'cause you get to see all the sights. Definitely go to La Sagrada Familia...it is amazingly breathtaking. I really like Parc Guell also. Take some time to walk Las Ramblas and maybe go to El Mercado de la Boqueria...just mind your purse or carry you things in your pockets....we didn't have any problems, but better safe than sorry, right?

I'm staying at the Hotel Arts Barcelona - ever heard of it? Also, what is the 2 day hop?

• Options
    imagesamantha7806:
    imageMrs.N.H.:

I'm staying at the Hotel Arts Barcelona - ever heard of it? Also, what is the 2 day hop?

I don't know much about the hotel, but I know the area where it's at. It's off the beaten path, but still close enough and I know there is a stop for the bus near by (if you choose to take it).

The "2day hop-on hop-off" is one of those open top busses you see in every touristy city, but the route is actually really good, plus they give you some headphones where they explain you what everything is and give you a bit of history on every "sight". Here is the link: https://www.barcelonabusturistic.cat/web/guest/home

image   image
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

I don't know much about the hotel, but I know the area where it's at. It's off the beaten path, but still close enough and I know there is a stop for the bus near by (if you choose to take it).

The "2day hop-on hop-off" is one of those open top busses you see in every touristy city, but the route is actually really good, plus they give you some headphones where they explain you what everything is and give you a bit of history on every "sight". Here is the link: https://www.barcelonabusturistic.cat/web/guest/home

i might be dumb, but is there any way to view that website in english?

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"