Postpartum Depression

anyone else feel this way re: meds?

I just started medication for anxiety and I'm about 10 days in. I am feeling SO much better already during most of the day which is a blessing but part of me is feeling anxious about being on medication at all.

I've always been pretty anxious but never needed meds in the past and now I feel like I'm constantly checking in on my mental state during the day and wondering if I'm feeling "off" or fuzzy, or flat etc. I am so afraid I'm going to start feeling not like "myself." However, myself a few weeks ago was NOT good; nervous all the time; anxious, afraid I was going to go crazy...not good.

Also, my doc put me on a SRNI Effexor XR (37.5mg) which is the lowest dose b/c although I had never been on meds for anxiety, I had been on Effexor about 10 yrs ago for migraines and did fine with it, no more headaches. He said he would start with that since I had previous experience with it but if it didn't work, we'd try Zoloft instead. Being a worrywart that I am, I googled (mistake) all about Effexor and it seems to have a awful weaning period and I'm freaked out that maybe this isn't the right drug for me afterall evne though I'm feeling better. I want to have faith and trust my doc completely but I also want to be my best advocate and if it's easier to switch now than once I'm on it for a LONG time, I'd rather do it now (assuming I'd also have relief from Zoloft or another choice of my docs).

I have an appt this week with my doc and plan on discussing...I really don't want to have to put my body through a switch when I feel like I'm just starting to relax and recover but I don't want to regret it later. Anyone else get freaked out by the decision to go on meds/side effects/eventual weaning etc? This is all new and scary to me...

Re: anyone else feel this way re: meds?

• Don't stress out over it.  The doctor can help you wean off the effexor by giving you a small dose of Prozac for 5 days to help the seretonin.  That is what I did and it was a breeze.
  • Dont google!! I hate google. During on of my first therapy appointments my therapist even said "STAY OFF ONLINE". people can exaggerate, lie and mostly only tell the bad that they experience. My anxiety medicine has turned by life around. Ya I kinda walk into walls sometimes(lol not kidding) but Im living again. If you have questions go to your doctor or you can always call a pharmacy....they are usually very helpful and available for quick advice. Plus if you wean off correctly the effects can be(and were for me last time) non existent!

Stay away from those negative nancys online....... your on your way to gettin better and all you need is support from family, friends, doctors and bumpies!!! Plus EVERYONE is different. Also dont worry about the future mama. 

We only breathe one breath at a time, live one moment at a time and experience one day at a time. Tomorrow is just that.....tomorrow 

• Loading the player...
  • I could have written this exact post.  I was terrified of meds, and tried for 4 months without.  I couldn't handle it anymore. I too felt like I was going to go crazy, I had a super nervous stomach, lost 20 pounds, I could go on and on.  I finally went on zoloft.  It's going well.  I am much better, not where I want to be, but definitely better.  But I too wonder if I feel fuzzy, etc.  I hope I can go off of it sometime and just feel normal again.  Email me if you have any questions!  schammond @ hotmail dot com.  Just know you are not alone!  And, as everyone says, it does get better!  Mine came out of nowhere.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"