3rd Trimester
Options

False result on gestational diabetes test?

Ok so I tested positive on both the one and three our glucose tests and so they say I have diabetes and put me on a low carb/low sugar diet... Here's the deal. Yesterday I decided to just eat like I normally would and still take my blood sugar 4 times a day just to see how bad it was. None of my numbers were even close to being above the normal range! I am going to call the nurse this week but I don't see how I could have gestational diabetes when my blood sugar is not high on my normal diet. Does anyone know if it's possible to get a false positive on the glucose tests?

Re: False result on gestational diabetes test?

• Options
    Did they have you fast before the 3 hr??  Or if they did have you fast, what did you eat the night before because there are some things like products with lots of corn syrup/fat that can stick around.  That could have led to a false positive result.
  • Options

I'm kind of curious to know also. I failed my 1 hr with a 138 (Kaiser requires a 130 or below) and then ONE of my levels on the 3 hr was elevated so they're treating me like I have GD with the modified diet. I only have to go in to get my blood drawn every 2 weeks with a fasting level and then I have to eat while I'm there and then get it taken again an hour after I started eating.

I am SOOO unbelievably frustrated that I have had to modify anything. Granted I know I haven't been eating like I should but once I saw my levels were elevated I stopped eating all of the junk and have lost about 5-7 lbs already (within 3 weeks).

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I know what you mean. I failed my 1 hour with a 141 then failed my 3 hour just barely as well. I was diagnosed 1 1/2 weeks ago.

I was told the 3 hr gtt is basically just a challenge to see how your body reacts to drinking 100 gm of glucose. I failed this challenge by a little bit. My nutritionist told me I have a mild case of it... she explained to me that basically my body doesn't handle that amount of sugar all at once. This doesn't mean that I normally eat like that, which I don't at all. She said even if once in awhile I eat alot of sugar or carbs that usually I eat it with other foods too. But the GD diet is just to make you more aware of what sugars & carbs you do eat so you don't over do it again and end up with 100 gm of sugar when your body doesn't handle it well.

I hope that helps a little. I felt the same way when I was first diagnosed and still feel like I really don't have GD ... but I am just trying to look at it that I need to monitor my diet and I will be fine. So far all my numbers have all been really low by following the diet. So as long as I don't drink 100 gm glucose drink I am great! :)

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I am by no means a GD expert, and don't have it myself or anything, but a woman I know went through a similar situation - the numbers she was getting were really low, but her midwives were pushing her to do insulin, etc. I know she requested some common blood draw that they do with diabetics (I don't know the name of it, but it's a common one?) that would test her blood sugars further, but the midwives weren't willing to do it, so she switched care to a provider who recognized that her GD wasn't as serious as the midwives were making it....maybe something like that is going on with you? I would definitely ask for more info from your provider, especially if they are talking insulin and not diet-controlled. hth and good luck
    DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• Options
    imagenosoup4u:
    I am by no means a GD expert, and don't have it myself or anything, but a woman I know went through a similar situation - the numbers she was getting were really low, but her midwives were pushing her to do insulin, etc. I know she requested some common blood draw that they do with diabetics (I don't know the name of it, but it's a common one?) that would test her blood sugars further, but the midwives weren't willing to do it, so she switched care to a provider who recognized that her GD wasn't as serious as the midwives were making it....maybe something like that is going on with you? I would definitely ask for more info from your provider, especially if they are talking insulin and not diet-controlled. hth and good luck
    You can have your A1C levels checked. That will show the amount of insulin in your blood for the last 3 moths. It's good information to have but it won't show how your body is processing insulin lately which is what most doctors need to know.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Failed my hour screen at 141. Just did the 3 hour one this last week and am currently waiting for the results.  Mind you, they hadn't told me not to eat for the first test! So I ate a nice big breakfast since they would be taking a ton of blood that day!

Just check with your doctors again and definitely have them check your A1C. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My cousin had a false result, but it was opposite of yours.  She had GD in her last pregnancy, and she had been taking her blood sugar since getting her BFP, so she knew she had GD but her test result said no.  She convinced her doctor to let her take it again and it was positive.  They discovered that her lab results were mixed with the other pregnant woman in the lab taking the GD test at the same time.
  • Options

image*KC*luvs*RJ*:
      She convinced her doctor to let her take it again and it was positive.  They discovered that her lab results were mixed with the other pregnant woman in the lab taking the GD test at the same time.

Ugh, that is super scary.  You wonder how many times that happens.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"