Military Families

How long did it take for you/dh to get security clearance?

My DH has been waiting around 6 wks now - that is the last thing he needs.  Just curious is that a good/bad sign and if this is normal.  We are hoping he gets it soon so he can sit on the Sept board for Army OCS and hopefully start in November.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: How long did it take for you/dh to get security clearance?

• Probably around 6 months, and up to a year depending on what his job will be. DH was fast tracked and it took him a little over 6 months to get it. It could be a little sooner than that. 

They dig into EVERYTHING and it takes them forever to put it all together. Good luck.  

ETA again: Ignore what I wrote before. It depends on what kind of security clearance he's getting. DH has a top secret with some super special something so maybe that's why it took so long. I would expect at least 6 months though.  

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I think it took about 6 months. I was never interviewed and neither was my DH so that's not necessarily a sign that it hasn't been started yet.
  • Loading the player...
  • J+MSJ+MS member
    H got his a little short of 6 months.
    "Seriously, mommy forum people are some crazy ass bitches." New Year New You
  • Mine took 4 months.  H's took 6. 

• Thank you :)  Yeah this is just to get accepted into OCS for the Army - so he's not applying for a specific level.  The person he worked with made it sound like she just handed the information in and got the letter right back.
  • Mine took 11. Not sure how long H's took. I was on AD with an interim clearance while the investigation was ongoing.
    Twin boys due 7/25/12
  • Mine only took like 2 months if that. Some can take up to a year though

• Mine started in February 2009, I started having interviews (two) in September 2009 and started my job (with my clearance) in early-mid December 2009.  I would consider myself "simple".  There wasn't anything they really needed to look into.  I think a lot of it is just waiting for certain people to review things.  It could be sitting on someones desk for weeks before they simply sign off on it, who knows.  Wishing Luck!!!!
  • I will tell you it took me a week to get mine.No interview just paper work. I turned in the paper work and get the notification I passed. I might be the exception. My dad is a Col and has a top secret, my sister, brother, and husband have clearances as well. So I think that helped. My friend took three months for hers. She got into credit card debt when she was younger but she paid it all off, but they just needed to make sure that was all cleared up. It may also depend on the type of clearance he is getting. My husbands soldier got his top secret and it was a huge deal. The interviewed EVERYONE on the list and it took weeks. Not a bad sign for him because he did get it. 
  • Oh and I have the lowest possible clearance. I applied for a scholarship that needed to have a clearance they run to check to make sure we have one. I got the response back that I had the lowest and would need a higher one if I got accepted. Mined you this is the DoD scholarship and I was applying for psychology. 
  • What clearance level are you referring too? That makes a huge difference.

DH's TS/SCI took about 6 months and that was a renewal. Mine for some reason went ridiculously fast and I got it in about 5 months. I know lots of people though that have had to wait over a year. If you are talking about a secret or something lower, I know people that have gotten an interim secret in 2 weeks.

• for a secret clearance it took me about 6 months for it to be finalized.  my husband is getting a top secret and the process can take a year.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"