Potty Training

Waking up dry in the morning? When?

We started potty training DS a little over a week ago and so far so good. He does so well and actually likes it. We put him in pull ups for car rides, nap time and bedtime right now and so far he has woken up from his afternoon nap (usually about 3 hours) completely dry and goes right on the potty. This kid is truly amazing me. My question is though, how long did it take your LO to wake up in the morning dry or wake up in the middle of the night on their own to go on the potty? DH & I are thinking about waking him in the middle of the night to put him on the potty (you know, kind of like he's sleeping so we don't wake him up fully) but I don't really want to interrupt his sleep. Is this something I should be doing or will it come in time on it's own?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
<3 Watching the snow <3 <br> Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
"A baby will make love stronger, days shorter, nights longer, bankroll smaller, home happier, clothes shabbier, the past forgotten, and the future worth living for"

Re: Waking up dry in the morning? When?

• I tried going cold turkey one night with underwear. I stopped the liquids 2 hours before dd went to bed (gave her a sip of water if she wanted) had her pee before bed and she woke up dry! She wakes up dry from naps too. No more pullups! I wouldn't want to wake her from a good sleep especially since she'll start going back to school soon
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • DS PT at 18 months and did great for naps and wore a CD only for bedtime and at first we didn't bother with the bedtime because everything we read said that a child can't be night time trained until 22 months.  After about a month we decided to do it (he was going to bed at 8pm and wakes up at @7:30am and we knew from the past he stays dry until about 5 am) because he was getting very restless sleep in the early morning (obviously know he was peeing).  So what we did was change our night time routine- go potty, brush teeth and then go potty again.  We decided to wake him up 1 at night- either before we went to bed or when we woke up in the morning (generally @5:30 am) and whenever we did it he would go pee and go right back to sleep without issues and wake up dry (I will say that my DS has always been a great sleeper so not sure if this work on a "bad' sleeper).  We did this for maybe 1-2 weeks and after that we stopped and he either woke up in the middle of the night asking to go (he's in a crib and we have a monitor) or he woke up dry without waking us up.  Its been several months now and I'd say he wakes us up maybe 1-2 times a week in the middle of the night asking to go potty.
  • Loading the player...
  • We're struggling with this too. DD is kinda getting the whole daytime part of it. But the nighttime can be pretty bad. The 3 day PTing book does suggest waking them up an hour after they go to sleep and then ann hour before they wake up. We've been waking her up in the evenings, although usually she doesn't go on the toilet, but seems rather annoyed. We need to try waking her up earlier ti see if she'll pee and go back to bed. Good luck!

• I left DD in diapers at naps until she woke up dry for a week. With night time I was a bit more hesistant but after 2 weeks of waking up dry I put her in big girl undies and made sure she knew it before she went to bed. She woke up the second night to go potty and that was it! Knock on wood we haven't had a night time accident in a month!

• It depends on the child and some children can struggle with staying dry all night until age 5.

DS was day-time potty trained at 24months but just started waking dry and sleeping in underwear about 3 weeks ago(and he has still had 2 accidents in the last 3 weeks). I tried limiting his liquids after dinner and making sure he went potty before bed but he is a very heavy sleeper and he was still wet no matter what I did. I even tried letting him sleep in underwear but after 2 weeks of changing him and his sheets every night and him being very upset about it, we went back to diapers at night.

DD potty trained at 20 months and only slept in a diaper at night for about a month after although she was dry most mornings. She has been sleeping in panties for over a month and has only had 1 accident and has gotten up in the middle of the night to go twice. 

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"