Potty Training

Dry with no accidents during the day, wet at night

We started potty training about 3 weeks ago and my DS has got it, for the most part.  We've traveled overnight with the potty in tow, gone out and about with the fold-up seat--all with no accidents.  He will tell us when he has to go and he'll hold it until he gets to a potty.  I'm THRILLED with that.

That being said, we still use a diaper at nap and bedtime.  Each time he has a diaper on, he wakes up soaked.  If I took the diaper off him for either of those, I'm pretty sure he'd wet the bed. 

I'm thankful for what I have right now, believe me, and I don't want to push him if he's not ready, but how do I move him to being more naptime/bedtime potty training "ready"?  Thanks!

Re: Dry with no accidents during the day, wet at night

• Is it possible that he is holding it waiting to get that diaper on? If the diapers are that soaked he might be relying on that diaper.  You can just take the diaper away and make sure he doesn't drink anything at least an hour before nap/bed and make sure he goes in the potty first.  Put a plastic protector on the mattress.  If he is really just holding it now and has accidents in bed he won't like the feeling of laying in it and it may make him go in the potty.  I also read that you can wake them up an hour after putting them down to go potty on the toilet again and then back to sleep.  And in the morning wake them up an hour earlier than normal to go straight to the potty.

I don't have a kid that makes it through the night yet but we are only on day 6 and still working on it... so take this for what you want cause I am just going off things I have read/been told.

Good luck!

Daughter born July 2008; Daughter born March 2010 Son born August 2011
  • DD is doing a similar thing. We've been PT for about a month now and she's dry all day and only goes on the potty (although i'm not brave enough to venture out quite yet).  I'd say about half of her naptimes she wakes up dry, and most nights she'll wake up with a wet pull up.

The only thing that I could think of to help with the nighttime wet pull ups is to restrict fluids after 7 but that is hard most nights because our dinner schedule is different every day.

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"