Success after IF

Sick toddler involuntarily "jerking"???

Jake's been sick with a fever now for the past 3 days.  Pedi said it's a virus and we're waiting it out to see if he gets more symptoms (roseola, coxsackie, etc.).  Well, for the last few hours or so he's been involuntarily "jerking" similar to if a loud noise scared him and he was startled.  Has anyone else's LO done this? I'm wondering if it's because he's sick and/or overtired or if this is some sort of red flag?  He's also SUPER SUPER cranky and irritable although no fever right now since he's on motrin/tylenol.  Any thoughts? Thanks!

Re: Sick toddler involuntarily "jerking"???

• Call your ped.  It may be a febrile seizure ...

ETA:  I'm not an expert or anything, and it may be nothing, but I think I would at least call. 

ETA:  I read your post again and it could be an earache.  One time right before DD had an ear infection I remember her jerking her head and we took her to the ped and no infection but it came in a couple of days.  Must have been pressure in her ear.  If he doesn't have a fever right now it's probably not a febrile seizure ...  Sorry Jake isn't feeling well.  : ( 

• this is one of the signs I get from DD that lets me know sickness is coming around the corner..we bedshare so I am very intune on her movements...its not something she does consistently but once in a while in her sleep she will have these jerky movements..

I'm praying Jake gets better soon..it breaks my heart when they are sick..no fun :(

• Loading the player...
  • imagecmw&tdm:

Call your ped.  It may be a febrile seizure ...

That's what I was thinking too.  Cal did this at one point when he had Roseola...strangely enough, it was not when his fever was at its highest. 

Childhood cancer (DH) + chemo + radiation = 0 sperm.
    LO #1 - 1 unmedicated/self-monitored IUI w/ donor sperm.
    LO #2 - 1 m/c, 2 BFNs, 4th IUI worked (unmedicated/self-monitored with new donor sperm).
    Life is beautiful!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageSeaSoul:
    imagecmw&tdm:

That's what I was thinking too.  Cal did this at one point when he had Roseola...strangely enough, it was not when his fever was at its highest. 

this is interesting..can they have a febrile seizure without a fever??

• imageSeaSoul:
    imagecmw&tdm:

I just want to reasure you that if it is a fibrile sezure he will be fine and while you can call the pedi (just to make sure that is what they are) there is nothing you or they can do.  I had them as a child and know a few other moms who have kids with them. They can be scary but your son will be fine.

• imageESTH2000:
    imageSeaSoul:
    imagecmw&tdm:

I have a friend whose son was sick with a high fever and was on Motrin for it (but I think he was at least a 101 even with the Motrin) and he had a few febrile seizures even at the lower temp.  As far as having one without a fever at all, I don't know, probably not.  

• imageESTH2000:
    imageSeaSoul:
    imagecmw&tdm:

I said it's not when his fever was at its HIGHEST.  He did have a fever...I don't remember what it was at that point.

Childhood cancer (DH) + chemo + radiation = 0 sperm.
    LO #1 - 1 unmedicated/self-monitored IUI w/ donor sperm.
    LO #2 - 1 m/c, 2 BFNs, 4th IUI worked (unmedicated/self-monitored with new donor sperm).
    Life is beautiful!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I was thinking febrile seizure as well.  Our doc told us she is more worried about febrile seizures with drastic temperature changes.  I would call the pedi.  Many kids have febrile seizures and they are just fine.  

Another thought...could it be the fever breaking is causing chills?????  Is he clammy feeling, sweaty????  Good Luck.

I hope he feels better really soon 

• imageSeaSoul:
    imageESTH2000:
    imageSeaSoul:
    imagecmw&tdm:

I said it's not when his fever was at its HIGHEST.  He did have a fever...I don't remember what it was at that point.

I got what you said but asked because Nicole stated Jake didn't have a fever now, so I wanted to know if it were possible to have a seizure without a fever. I wasn't referring to Cal.

I guess if the motrin/tylenol is keeping the fever away it may still be possible to have a seizure..maybe..of course now I need to add that to my list of worries...ugh

btw-I love how we all support each other when our babies are sick..this board is awesome!!

I hope Jake gets better soon.

• sorry your LO isnt feeling well. based on my experience with my son, it doesnt sound like a febrile seizure. my DS had one when he was 11 months old. i was holding him and he stiffened and began twitching and shaking all over and his eyes rolled up into his head. scared me and my DH to death!!! we took him to the ER to get checked out and they said that febrile seizures are basically harmless and that some kids are prone to them. i was surprised when my DS had his because his temp was 102 and i had just given him tylenol (i always had thought they occurred when their temps were super super high like 104). my pedi said its not necessarily the number of the temp but its the fact that it shoots up quickly. their bodies cant handle the sudden rise in temp and they seize. he also said that these seizures usually only occur at the onset of the illness since that is when the temp first spikes.

i'm certainly no expert but that was our experience. hope your LO feels better soon!

• imagecera2525:

sorry your LO isnt feeling well. based on my experience with my son, it doesnt sound like a febrile seizure. my DS had one when he was 11 months old. i was holding him and he stiffened and began twitching and shaking all over and his eyes rolled up into his head. scared me and my DH to death!!! we took him to the ER to get checked out and they said that febrile seizures are basically harmless and that some kids are prone to them. i was surprised when my DS had his because his temp was 102 and i had just given him tylenol (i always had thought they occurred when their temps were super super high like 104). my pedi said its not necessarily the number of the temp but its the fact that it shoots up quickly. their bodies cant handle the sudden rise in temp and they seize. he also said that these seizures usually only occur at the onset of the illness since that is when the temp first spikes.

i'm certainly no expert but that was our experience. hope your LO feels better soon!

This sounds like what DH's cousin described about her son, very scary and I hope Jake feels better soon. 

Our miracle IVF baby - D 6/09 & J - Surprise! born 9/10!!!
  • Thank you all SO SO much for the support.  We just got home from the pedi...fever is still down and the twitching/jerking has stopped for now (of course it didn't happen while we were at the dr. at all).  Our pedi is awesome and always makes me feel like I did the right thing to bring him in.  We're still in the same place as before...waiting and giving him OTC meds around the clock. If this still persists until Friday or any other symptoms pop up or he gets worse before then she said to call.  I hate seeing him sick :( Thanks again, ladies, I really appreciate it Big Smile
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"