3rd Trimester

Picture frames over crib

Hi ladies!

I have a nursery question, but wanted to ask here because I thought I might get more responses than on the nursery board.

My MIL gave me a whole set of 8x10 alphabet cards. Each letter has a watercolor animal painted on the card. They are so cute! I am taking four of those letters to spell my son's name. I plan to buy frames for them and hang them over the crib.

DH asked me if that was safe. He said he's concerned about the frames falling down into the crib if a door slams or something. I think he has a point. But the wall above the crib looks so blank!!

Is there a safety concern? Any opinions? 

DSC_0330editedimage
The two men in my life. Oh, and I have a husband too...
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Picture frames over crib

• maybe pull the crib out an inch or so from the wall, that way if one does fall it will just fall to the ground instead of in the crib with LO
  • The only thing I put above O's crib was a canvas which I painted.  I also hung it on three nails which I dug into the back of the canvas frame.  Her crib also wasn't pushed against the wall.  I am not sure how safe I think it is when people hang heavy things above the crib.  I would make sure if they fell, they fell straight to the floor.  So, leave several inches between the crib and the wall. 

On another note,  a friend of mine got some ABC letters and hung the entire alphabet around the room. She had a chair rail installed a couple feet from the ceiling and hung them above that.  I personally think that is such a cute idea.  The kid's name is so played out!

• Loading the player...
  • imageBritty685:
    maybe pull the crib out an inch or so from the wall, that way if one does fall it will just fall to the ground instead of in the crib with LO

This is what we did, then tested it out, and the pictures just fell in the crack. To be safe though, i would put flexible plastic inside the frames rather than the glass that usually comes with.

• imagewife1014:

The only thing I put above O's crib was a canvas which I painted.  I also hung it on three nails which I dug into the back of the canvas frame.  Her crib also wasn't pushed against the wall.  I am not sure how safe I think it is when people hang heavy things above the crib.  I would make sure if they fell, they fell straight to the floor.  So, leave several inches between the crib and the wall. 

On another note,  a friend of mine got some ABC letters and hung the entire alphabet around the room. She had a chair rail installed a couple feet from the ceiling and hung them above that.  I personally think that is such a cute idea.  The kid's name is so played out!

LOLz I feel speshul! ;)

• As long as they are secured so baby can't push or pull on them no problem. I would consider finishing nails to help secure them, if frame allows. If not mounting a little higher out of reach, the mattress will be lowered so shouldn't be a biggie. Possibly mounting the frame and then a ribbon would help it not to fall if the baby could tip the bottom of the frame, it would still be held by the ribbon.
  • imageBritty685:
    imagewife1014:

The only thing I put above O's crib was a canvas which I painted.  I also hung it on three nails which I dug into the back of the canvas frame.  Her crib also wasn't pushed against the wall.  I am not sure how safe I think it is when people hang heavy things above the crib.  I would make sure if they fell, they fell straight to the floor.  So, leave several inches between the crib and the wall. 

LOLz I feel speshul! ;)

As I typed it, I thought of you.  I was going to say something else, but that was a much nicer way to put it!

• glad you asked this! I have been wondering this myself
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagewife1014:

You know, this entered my mind, but then I decided to take the lazy way and just hang four letters in frames on the wall, haha. I think I will run this idea by DH though and see what he says. Thanks for the suggestion! 

DSC_0330editedimage
    The two men in my life. Oh, and I have a husband too...
  • We decided not to put anything hanging over the crib... I also thought the walls looked so plain so I painted some butterflies (stencil) the walls are pink and made the butterflies white.... you can also buy some decals if you don't feel like painting anything.....
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • We decided to hang the soft fabric decor pieces over the crib, and hang the played out wooden wall letters elsewhere for this very reason. 
  • Well, I live in earthquake country and it's definitely a no-no to put framed pictures or artwork above sleeping areas.  You also shouldn't place a bed/crib next to a window, especially if it's an older home that doesn't have safety glass in the windows.

For the wall behind the crib in our nursery we got a tree decal from wall candy arts.  It's totally safe for the baby and definitely fixes the problem of the wall looking plain! 

• I would say to use those sticky hooks that attatch cleanly to the wall. I live in an apartment so thats what we have holding everything up including a 7lb metal branch. We've never had it fall down once. Another option is the velco.  It works really well!!
  • We just hung two pictures over the crib yesterday and they were a little heavy.  We used 50 lb.-rated Molly screws then actually wrapped the hanging wire around the screw before securing it into the frame.  The kid could literally swing from the picture frames before they would even budge an inch.  We also moved the crib away from the wall an inch or two just to be on the safe side.

Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • There's earthquake putty stuff you could use in the corners of the frame to help keep them snug against the wall in addition to whatever nails or such that you intend to use to hang it up.  

We have it on the back of everything in our house and also on bottom of all the decorative type stuff in DS's room.  It holds things down pretty well and doesn't usually leave much of a mark if when you need to get it up.  We've had 3 moderate earthquakes since using it and nothing has come down off the walls yet.  

Baby Names - BabyNamey.com Name Badge Ticker
    Home Birthing-Breastfeeding-Cloth Diapering-Baby Wearing-CoSleeping-Delayed/Selective Vaccination Mama to Charlie (5yrs) and Madeline (21mos)
  • *lurking from 2nd tri*

I live in California so we have to be very careful about what we put near the kids beds because of earthquakes.  Anything that weighs more than an ounce hanging on the wall by the crib would be a no-no for us.  Your DH has a point in that a door slamming, or thunder, or who knows what else can also knock items off of walls.  Also keep in mind that eventually LO will be standing in it's crib and could pull down the frames, even if they are high on the wall, little kids have a suprising ability to climb.

• Just went over this with DH, we have some animal prints over where the crib is now (just assembled today!) and are moving them because we also live in California and don't put any pictures above sleeping areas.  Its a bummer because the prints look perfect with the crib, but I just don't want to take any chances at all with things falling into my baby's bed - certainly not for my own aesthetic value.  Not sure about the issue for non- earthquake places.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"