Postpartum Depression
Options

Anxiety before pregnant - more susceptible to PPA/PPD?

Hi.  I struggled with anxiety/depression a couple years ago.  I took medications/saw a counselor.  I stopped about a year ago and have been feeling good with only moments of panicky feelings or my heart beating out of my chest but nothing too out of the ordinary. Did any of you who have been diagnosed with PPD/PPA suffer from anxiety or depression before becoming pregnant?  I'm just curious if they're related.

TIA. 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Anxiety before pregnant - more susceptible to PPA/PPD?

• Options
    My midwife said that because I had dealt with these problems before, that I was more at risk during pregnancy and especially after.  She also said that keeping it under control while pregnant would really help with PPD/PPA, and even help for a happier baby.  
  • Options

I had problems with both pre pregnancy. When I finally went in for help for PPD my doctor look at me and said "if i had known you had these problems before I would have started you on somthing your 3rd trimester, your experience makes you highly likely to suffer this". Thanks lady.......pretty sure it was in my file.

So yes 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Yes, I had GAD while in college and it did flare up PP. I wanted to ignore it and try to do the things I had learned in the past to make the anxiety go away and none of it worked. I'm now on celexa, seeing a therapist and doing great!
  • Options
    They are definitely related (at least that's what my OB said as well as other books and things I read)  I actually took wellbutrin from the time I started TTC and all through my pregnancy (before I was on other meds for anxiety and depression they just weren't safe for pregnancy) but even wellbutrin didn't cut it when it came to PPD I had to go on something stronger. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"