Orange County Babies
Options

Sleep "guru" recommendations

My baby is 8 weeks and I am starting to think about a sleep/nap schedule as I return back to work. I am so overwhelmed by the amount of research and opinions on the topic. I read that Ferber, Weissbluth, and Mindell are the best books. Please recommend what has worked for you!

THANKS!

Re: Sleep "guru" recommendations

• Options
    We had more sleep issues with DD (#1) probably because it was our first because DS (#2) has been WAY easier. Anyway, we went with a modified Ferber based on recommendations in Baby 411.  Follow bedtime routine, put baby down in crib 10 minutes. If crying, can go in pat or comfort quietly. Leave for 15 minutes, and so on adding 5 more minutes to each time.  GL!
  • Options
    I'll echo beachbride, we followed a similar modified Ferber schedule with DD1.  Although, I think 8 weeks is early to sleep train.  We waited until 4 months to follow a Ferber-type method. 

At 2ish months we established a bedtime routine; eat, bath, story and then bed at the same time every evening. I think it may have helped pave a path so training wasn't such a battle later on.
    forcing sisterly love since 07.06.10
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I am the last person you'd probably want to get sleep advice from. My (almost) 2 yr old just started sleeping well. LOL. But maybe you could learn what NOT to do.

We always had a bedtime routine and put DD down at the same time for naps and at night. But we never sleep trained. When she was tiny we would rock her in our arms. As she got older we would just hold her and sit on the rocker. Now, we still have to lay down next to her. She will never go to sleep on her own.

I could never stomach the crying and I didn't have the will power to sleep train. It did not feel natural to me. I was much more comfortable helping her go to sleep with cuddles and rocking. But it really has not been easy.

• Options
    My daughter has bombed every single "guru's" recommendations - we've been trying since she was four months to get her on some sort of routine without fighting us and she's just a high enough needs baby that she wants to do her own thing. Everyone has their recommendation but I will say don't bank on it.
    Socializing foster puppies since 2009
    image image
    Chart for TTC#2
  • Options

I didn't use any method at all.  Our girls slept in 5 hour stretches at 5 weeks, 6 at 6 weeks, 7 at 7 weeks and then 12 hours at 4 months.

We just made sure to have a consistent routine (bath, bottle, bed) and bedtime (6-6:30 pm) every night since they were 7 weeks old.

After 2 rounds of IVF & 2 rounds of FET, we were blessed with identical twin girls!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options

All of my friends swear by Babywise. It is sitting on my bookshelf for the next kid.

• Options

We followed Babywise recommendations for the most part for the first 3-4 mos but then when DD was 4 mos and old enough to try and start scheduling, we followed Weissbluth (Healthy Sleep Habits). Most sleep training methods are not appropriate until 4 mos but Babywise has tips for early scheduling that worked for us. (the sleep, feed, wake cycle and achieving full feedings are mainly what we followed from day one).

DD is an awesome sleeper and is very true to her schedule but she may have just come that way. Nighttimes were never a challenge, even at a young age, but we did have to CIO for naps for a bit. It was very hard to hear but in the end, well worth it. She's well-rested and always very happy.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Like cstw we did the Babywise sleep, feed, wake cycle and achieving full feedings in the beginning.  It worked for us.  As everyone mentioned before, the schedule is the key.  It doesnt have to be militant either.  We never were.  I just made sure she ate at the right time and tried to get her to sleep during the right time.  If she didnt, thats okay.  We just adjusted and moved on... but always in the same sequence (if that makes sense!)  I have seen babies without a schedule and they are still waking up at 2 and 3am at 15 months old.  I couldnt handle that... I need my sleep!  :)  Dont get me wrong, we still have some occasional sleep challenges, like crying at naps and waking at 3am.  Its rare, but it happens so there is no perfect sleep method.  But my kid is well rested and is a happy baby!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

We used The Baby Sleep Solution by Suzy Giordano starting at about 16 weeks, which is kind of like Ferber, but you don't wait any longer than 3 to 5 minutes before going back in when the baby is crying -- you just have to soothe her *without* taking her back out of the crib when you do go back in.  Worked great for us, but even the 3 minutes of crying was SO hard for me.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/search?index=books&linkCode=qs&keywords=0399532919

• Options
    Please google Babywise failure to thrive along with Ezzo's (the author) credentials before buying that book. You may want to consider No Cry Sleep Solution. I know how hard it is to return to work 12weeks PP and understand why you would like your lo to sttn. However your lo is too young for sleep training. Try to enjoy the rest of your maternity leave. Sleep will come but it may not coincide with the end of your leave. GL.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options

Everyone's advice is good but I must say -- don't even think about a schedule at 8 weeks -- you will be fighting an uphill batlle.  Just too young (yes, I know there are some fab sleepers out there but they would likely have been great no matter what you did.) At 8 weeks, just go with the flow and respond ot the babys needs. 

Somewhere between 4-6 months they are more aware and routines are the way to go.  We did a little Ferber stuff with my daughter and that worked quikcly.  The biggest rule we ever enforced was NEVER letting them sleep with us (except when really sick).  I opt for sleeping with them even if that means laying next to a crib on the floor with my hand on them. That is just because I do not sleep with a kid in my bed.  And if momma aint happy...

My son is 9 months and I feed him at night still - just once - 10 minutes - I am fine with it.

I have never been a fan of Babywise.  I follow my kid's cues.  I feed on demand (I am never inconveniced by giving a bottle), if they fall asleep on the bottle hooray for me.  Worked for us.  I have a now 3 year old with no issues who sleeps like a champ, needs no help at bedtime and sleep 11 hours straight everynight.

Michele

Mom to Skylar Kayla and Beck Dylan

• Options

I second the No Cry Sleep Solution.  8 weeks is far far too young to try any sort of sleep training, particularly any that involve CIO.  

Baby Names - BabyNamey.com Name Badge Ticker
    Home Birthing-Breastfeeding-Cloth Diapering-Baby Wearing-CoSleeping-Delayed/Selective Vaccination Mama to Charlie (5yrs) and Madeline (21mos)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"