Birth Stories

A labor and deliver I never expected.

Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin-top:0in; mso-para-margin-right:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt; mso-para-margin-left:0in; line-height:115%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;}

Jonathan Michael Brown, Born 08-02-10, 8lbs 4oz and 20 inches long

In the beginning?

Friday July 30th, my water broke at 6:10am.  I called my Doula to let her know.  She told me to go about my day as normal to wait for contractions to begin. (We had the intentions of an unmedicated labor and delivery.)  I did as she told me and the day came and went.  No contractions.  Travis (my husband), our Doula, and I decided to wait out the night to see if anything would start up on its own.  Morning came (July 31st) and still nothing.  It had been 24 hours since my water broke.  We had been told that waiting 48 hours was ?safe? if I kept up with signs of infection and if I wasn?t GBS (+), which I wasn?t.  I kept track of my temperature and baby?s heart rate.  High and low heart rate and fever can be signs of infection.  Everything stayed normal throughout the day?including my uterus.  Still no contractions.  I tried EVERYTHING.  I tried walking, light aerobics, castor oil (mixed with Dr. Pepper?YUCK!), Black Cohosh Tea, TENS shock, acupressure points, birth ball sitting/bouncing, lunges, and then some.  Nothing brought on any consistent contractions.  Travis and I made the decision to go to bed (with little hope) and wait out one more night.  Once again, morning came (August 1st) and no contractions.  I felt pretty disappointed that my body wasn?t doing its job.  At this point, we decided to head to the hospital.  It was 9:00am.

At the hospital?

We were admitted around 10:00am and shown to our Labor and Delivery room.  We met our L&D nurse.  She gave us about an hour until she inserted my IV and began the Pitocin.  I was asked if I wanted pain medication and I said no.  My plan was to go as long as possible without it, if not the whole way.  This is when the fun began.  For the first couple of hours, our Doula, Travis, and I talked and played video games.  I wasn?t in any pain yet.  I actually couldn?t feel any pain or pressure at all.  The Pitocin was on level 2 (out of 30) at this point.  I labored like this for a couple of hours.  We called our best friend Bridgett who was going to help with labor and delivery.  The nurse continued to up the Pitocin by 2 points every 15 to 20 minutes.  By 4:00pm the contractions were painful enough I couldn?t talk through them.  I would breathe deeply, relax my shoulders, and concentrate.  I was able to cope this way for another 4 or 5 hours.  Around 8:00pm my Pitocin was cranked up to 20 (out of 30).  This is when I wasn?t getting rest between contractions.  As one contraction ended, another began.  My body was so tired; I could hardly hold my head up.  I was straddling a birth ball and leaning on to the side of the delivery bed.  I would sway and moan to each contraction.  I began to feel sick to my stomach.  I asked for the trash can.  I vomited several times, although, all I had in my stomach was water.  I would take sips of water because my mouth felt like cotton.  I asked the nurse to turn down the Pitocin, she said she would, but never did.  I labored like this for another 4 hours.  I passed out from the pain 3 times.  It was then I realized I needed to accept the epidural if I was going to have any energy to push my baby out.  I weighed the risks and benefits (with what consciousness I had left).  I figured if I didn?t get the epidural and ended up with zero energy at 10 cm, I would probably end up with a cesarean section.  I wanted to avoid this if at all possible.  After the epidural (at 12:00am), I was able to rest.  It was another 5 ? hours until my body reached 10 cm.  Thank goodness I got the epidural, for I couldn?t have made it another 5 ? hours!  I used a mirror while pushing and boy did that make a difference.  I watched my baby?s head emerge and that helped me know how well I was pushing.  I push like this for an hour.  I reached down to feel his head.  Wow, was that strange!  A couple more hard pushes and baby Jonathan was out!  They placed him on my chest and I cried like a baby!  I was so emotional.  I couldn?t believe how precious he was and how much love I felt for someone I just met.  I held him and he breastfed right away while I delivered my placenta (which slid right out apparently).  I had a few small tears (less than 1st degree).  My OB had to put stitches in one of them that was in the perineum.  After this, Jonathan was taken to be weighed and measured.  Travis went with Jonathan to the nursery for his first bath.  I stayed in the delivery room for about an hour.  I got sick and vomited again.  I think it was from either all the excitement or aftermath from the epidural/Pitocin.  Either way, I felt pretty wheezy for awhile.

Recovery?

I was finally wheeled into our postpartum room.  I met my two wonderful nurses and Travis came back with Jonathan.  Jonathan breastfed again.  He was very good at latching on and a good feeder.  My milk came in on the second day.  I began to run a fever and my OB thought I could possibly have an infection in my uterus.  I was put on two different antibiotics (plus Diflucan for prevention of yeast infection) through an IV.  I hated this.  Every time I had to get up from the bed, I had to lug this IV machine with me.  What a pain.  So, I had now had an IV in my wrist for 60 hours!  Good grief.

Family and friends now started to pour into our room.  All day, every day we had visitors.  This was bittersweet.  I loved sharing the excitement of our new son, but I desperately needed some sleep.  I was ready to be home, and so was Travis.

We arrived home on Wednesday the 4th around 6:00pm.  Travis? parents were waiting for us and so was my Momma.  Travis? Mom had cleaned the entire house.  What a great present!  We continued to have a lot of family show up at our house.  This was beginning to become a bother.  Travis had to let family and friends know that we needed some time to ourselves.  We needed time to adjust.  My Mom was going to stay for a week, but instead left after about 3 days.  She returned a week later after Travis went back to work.  This is when I really needed her anyway.

In the end?

Travis and I are thrilled to be parents.  I?m getting used to not sleeping and I?m finally starting to heal from labor and delivery.  I have decided on the next go around, I will try again to have a med free delivery.  This is only if labor starts on its own.  I would like to compare natural contractions caused by oxytocin to the synthetic contractions I had to go through caused by Pitocin.  If Pitocin (the Devil?s drug) has to be used, I will get the epidural a lot earlier than I did.  Overall, I am proud of myself for doing all I could do.  I?m proud of my husband, Doula, and best friend for hanging in there with me and encouraging me through the entire event.  I?m happy with the way things turned out?a healthy and happy baby boy!!!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: A labor and deliver I never expected.

• Congrats on your little boy!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

I'll love you forever,
    I'll like you for always,
    As long as I'm living my baby you'll be.
    - Robert Munsch
  • Congratulations on the birth of your son.

• Loading the player...
  • Congrats! I was induced with Pitocin for 20 hours and I have to agree... it was rough. I definitely adored the epidural guy!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• congrats on your baby boy!! i was just wondering why you wanted to do it with no epidural? not trying to be snarky or anything im just curious.
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagexoashleigh4ox:
    congrats on your baby boy!! i was just wondering why you wanted to do it with no epidural? not trying to be snarky or anything im just curious.

I've just never wanted an epidural.  I don't do well with anesthesia.  Also, from the beginning of my pregnancy, I've wanted to "experience" labor and delivery.  Not to mention, its healthier for the baby and mom.  For the next child, (if there is no induction) I will try again to have a med-free experience.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"