Health & Exercise
Options

TTC with anti-depressants??

My Neurologist is recommending I take a low dosage of a tricyclic antidepressant as a medication to maintain my migraines. Elavil is normally prescribed in 75-100mg doses. I was prescribed 20mg. I am concerned to start taking it for a few reasons - they are used as sleeping pills for some. I don't like the feeling of drowsiness or deep sleep. It scares me. (Weird, but you know I am weird by now.)

I've read in many places that it is not safe to take while TTC, much less pregnant. I've spoken with a Doula who said my child could be born with limb and heart deformities. I spoke with a neonatologist at the OB's who said that it can cause skin sensitivity (I already get sun poisoning whenever I am in the sun, SPF or not. ) It can also cause heart issues and may be dangerous to take with prenatal vitamins. So all these people make my head spin. What to do?

My OB and neurologist tag team and tell me not to worry and just TTC and take the pill. If I get pregnant and get to 12 weeks, they'll take me off the pill. But at that point, I'll probably be hooked on it and will have to be weaned.

Everything in me points to "don't take this pill" but my neurologist says that it's the only thing that will help my migraines, aside from 12 hours locked in a dark room. I get migraines frequently, often and they come on rapidly. I've changed my diet, made my home/work stations ergonomically correct and followed all other suggestions from my doctor. He said this is his last suggestion. He said my options would be to not TTC and treat my migraines, or TTC and take this drug (which would result in a paranoia of harming my child), or I can TTC and not take the pills and suffer from paralyzing migraines... WWYD? Pregnant ladies/Mamas - did you get migraines during pregnancy?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: TTC with anti-depressants??

• Options
    I've been on zoloft pretty much my entire pregnancy & so far LO is perfect! It has kept me sane!! lol!! Now my sis in law was already on Zoloft when she found out she was prego & her daughter ended up with a severe heart defect & passed away when she was 2. My sis in laws believes is was the zoloft that caused it but my little guy seems to have no heart problems!!! Thank GOD!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"