Postpartum Depression
Options

Zoloft

I know this is a post partum board but I have a question for you ladies. I have a friend who is almost 7 weeks pregnant. She usually only takes zoloft when she has bouts of depression and usually she goes down during life changing events. This is her first pregnancy and although she wanted it so bad she is going through that now. When the morning sickness hit so did the depression i'm not sure which came first, but she had to have fluids over the weekend because she vomits pretty constantly and the depression if she just keeping her from functioning. Her doctor told her he couldn't recommend taking the Zoloft but if she had to have it to go ahead and take it. Does anyone have any experience with this? She's taken it for 6 days and finally started coming out of the depression but I don't think she can function without it. Has anyone taken it during pregnancy? What are your thoughts?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image

Re: Zoloft

• Options
    I can't offer any advice bc Im not a doctor nor am I pregnant and on Zoloft.  There are some anti deppression drugs that are considered safer to take during pregnant.....why doesn't she try one of those???

"I have four children. Two are adopted. I forget which two. -Bob Constantine

"All for Love,' a Saviour prayed 'Abba Father have Your way. Though they know not what they do...Let the Cross draw men to You...."

• Options
    It kind of sounds to me like she needs to find a new Dr.  Someone who will work with her and her depression.  My SIL is still on her Zoloft.  Zoloft is one of those anti-depressants that is okay to take while pregnant and breastfeeding.  Now, it is always better to not take anything while pregnant, but Zoloft is safe to take while pregnant.  She would def want to take the lowest dose possible - my SIL is on 50mg.  My other suggestion would be to find either a therapist or psychiatrist to either do talk therapy or at least manage her meds.  I know it helped me with my PPD and SIL said it helped her control things during her pregnancy.  GL - feel free to PM me if you have more questions!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My midwife has me on Zoloft, and says that it's important for PPD to have depression well-managed pre-delivery.  I think your friend needs to stay on it continually to get the full effect (and as PPs have said, I am not a medical professional).  Yes, in a perfect world we would all avoid any medication while pregnant, but in reality many of us need it.  Good luck to your friend!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"