2nd Trimester
Options

Bright spot on heart during 20 wk ultrasound

Hello,

I recently had my 20 week ultrasound and found out that we are having a girl!  The doctor said everything is fine, except I need to go for more testing because they found a bright spot on the heart during the ultrasound.  He said if any other factors exist, then there is a chance that my baby could have DS.  He advised me that I have no other anomolies and that he is 99.9% confident that nothing is wrong. I have another ultrasound scheduled in two weeks at a hosital.  Has this happened to anyone?  I am sure everything will turn out ok... but I am a nervous wreck.   Let me know

imageimage

Re: Bright spot on heart during 20 wk ultrasound

• Options
    I haven't had this exact thing happen, but at my NT scan my baby had increased fluid on her neck and an absence of the nasal bone, two markers for DS.  We saw a genetic counselor who told us out baby had a 1 in 21 chance of having  DS.  Needless to say, we freaked out.  I ended up having amnio and everything is fine.  I know that it's easier said than done, but try not to stress and worry too much.  My thoughts and prayers are with you!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    This is easy for me to say because I'm not in your shoes, but I don't think 1 marker is enough for you to panic just yet.  My Dr. told me it was pretty rare for the radiologists to find something that they didn't.  I'm sorry you had to be scared like this, but I'm sure everything is going to be fine.  Sending good thoughts your way!!
    imageimageimageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

T&P's.

Hope everything is okay. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Sending good thoughts and prayers your way, sure everything is fine. ::hugs::

• Options

When we went for our 20 wk U/S they found something with our LO kidney. I have to go back in 2 wks for a level 2 U/S.  I have been stressing for already 6 weeks.  I will tell you, after much research and speaking to doctors, most ALL of the doctors have said that many LO grow out of their "spots, or fluids." The best thing to do, and I know it is hard, is try not to think about it.  And know that it is still early and there is chance that your LO can grow out of the bright spot on his/her heart.

I am sure everything will be fine and work out. 

• Options

Pretty sure that 'spot' is called an echogenic intracardiac focus if you want to look it up. When you you that up, or even look up 'soft markers for DS'...you will see that the risk of DS is VERY low with 1-2 markers. T&P your way, but Im sure everything will be fine!

• Options

my niece had that at 20 weeks. When they went in for the follow up, it was nothing :) 

good luck.  

• Options

Yep, our little one had a spot on his/her heart at my level II ultrasound, but the doctor told me that he's not worried since everything else looked perfect.

Hugs and congrats on team pink!

Married 11-8-08
    DS born 12-10-10
    DD born 11-5-12
    Boy/girl twins arrived 10-10-14!
  • Options
    am&nam&n member

At our 18 week ultrasound a "bright spot" was also found on our little boy's heart. The term for this is echogenic intracardiac focus. Our doctor was not worried and didn't even suggest that we get more testing. We have no other markers for DS, but then again, we did no optional testing either. She said in the last year, she has had around 15 patients with this marker and in all cases the results have been good. After doing a lot of research myself, their seems to be a lot of debate on whether this is even linked to DS. I have also talked with another mom who said her doctor said that he wished that he didn't even have to mention these white spots because they almost always end with just that...a white spot.  

Even with my doc's reassurance, I am still worried! So I feel you! I have to wait until Sept. 2 for my next ultrasound.  

• Options
    Thanks! I have been researching this myself and I haven't found anyone who's baby ended up having DS.  I called the doctor again yesterday and got my test results from the bloodwork done at 16 weeks.  It was 1/8700 for ds and 1/10000 for T18.  She said the results are very good and that I have nothing to worry about.  Still... how can you not worry :)    Good luck with your U/S  :)
    imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"