Infertility
Options

Follistim...

is not my friend...

I don't like how the pen works.

I have to inject it super slow because I can feel the liquid going in (300IU 2x/day)

It is leaving me way more sore than the Lupron

Question...

So my Follistim cartridges are 600IU.  I've used my two doses (300IU each) and there is still a little left in the cartridge.  Should I use whatever is left and then move on to the next one or just move on to a fresh one???  I think I have 10 cartridges and today was my first day on it. 

Re: Follistim...

• Options

Hmm, I've never had any problems with Follistim and find it to be just like injecting Lupron....sorry it sucks for you :(

You can inject the remaining amount into the next vial....my nurse suggested this and i've done it with no problems.  It's just too much money to waste...plus it's like an extra 100ius in each vial. 

• Options

I don't know if this is right, but I have been using all of the dosage in the cartridge. It costs enough, so I feel like I should use it all. 

I've actually found the Follistim to be the easiest of the injections. The Menupor and the Ganirelix burn more. 

IVF, acupuncture, meditation and a miracle. 

Our sweet Valentine's Day FET.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

it's been awhile for me but I remember using the last of the cart. by dialing the units left and subtracting.  When I wasn't worried about having enough, I just started with fresh cart.

Hope it gets easier...it will be worth it. I had an awesome response from that cycle and i hope you do too!  (((hugs)))

• Options

I always use all of the Follistim.

TTC #1 since June 2008 *SAIFW*

TI, IUIs, IVF = c/ps and BFNs

• Options
    imagemadelyn07:

I always use all of the Follistim.

Yep yep! Liquid gold!

• Options

I was also on 300 of follistim.  I had DH do it, but yeah, it burned gong in and left some brusing from the sheer volume.

Every vial will have about 100 extra in it.  My nurse at the clinic actually combined the leftovers into one vial so I could use that.  It is way too expensive to waste!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I used all of it and had no burning. I've heard that there can be burning if the alcohol hasn't evaporated on your skin, and I used to let it come to room temperature before injecting.

GL

+++
  • Options
    My RE said to use all of it, the pens come with extra in case of miscalculations, etc. I didn't like the follistem either, it burned and was a lot of liquid. I thought it was better when the needle didn't have any liquid on it. Good Luck and I hope it gets better for you!
  • Options
    thanks! how do I combine two or more partial cartridges?
  • Options
    I believe you can extract the leftover (partial dose) with an empty sterile syringe, but I haven't tried it, so I don't know if you would then inject it into yourself or add it into the next/new cartridge.  But I do use every drop that I can get of the follistim, and I've never had any weird feeling with it going in (in fact, I can't feel it at all).  I liked the pen! :) GL!
  • Options
    I just end up taking two shots.  When you're nearing the end of the one cartridge, it won't let you push the whole dose.  Whatever number it stops at, that's the amount you still need from the new cartridge.  Hope that makes sense.
  • Options

Hi!  I am also 300iu twice a day.

Give it time-I too HATED how the pen works when I first started, now I am ok with it.

Make sure you let it warm up before you inject and I agree slowly injecting helps with the pain and bruising.  I have an am thigh and and pm thigh so that I rotate injections sites.  I use my stomach for Lupron.

Define. use every last drop, keep using it till it stops.  IF you use a needle to extract the remaining NOTE there is a formula to recalculate how much to inject yourself.  300 iu injected from the pen is NOT the same as 300 iu on a regular syringe.

PS if you ever get the follistim med. on the needle, clean the needle before you inject using an alcohol wipe and let air dry for a second.  I ONCE tried to inject with a wet needle and it hurt so bad I panicked and had to pull the needle out before I could inject.  Now I am much more careful.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"